Has anyone heard of

or use curbitrol 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Barbscloud

Sorry, I don't.   Just that it's a supplement

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Holli9193 

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking...I do not know about curbitrol...I do know we are here to help everyone quit smoking.  Keep close to the site and work the program...~ Colleen 226 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I don't imagine it will hurt - what I found is that it is a supplement meant to increase dopamine.  You can do that naturally (and save your money) by:

1. Eat Lots of Protein. Proteins are made up of smaller building blocks called amino acids. ...
  2. Eat Less Saturated Fat. ...
  3. Consume Probiotics. ...
  4. Eat Velvet Beans. ...
  5. Exercise Often. ...
  6. Get Enough Sleep. ...
  7. Listen to Music. ...
  8. Meditate.

Keep in mind that nothing is going to quit FOR you or make the first couple of days less difficult.  This isn't easy, but it IS doable - and it gets easier and easier as time passes.  You just need to remain patient.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for four reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion,  3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire and 4) you can become addicted to that and it has not yet been proven safe .

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

Please pay attention to what YoungAtHeart‌ has shared with you.  You really CAN do this and it DOES get easier one day at a time.  I have never heard of Curbitrol.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

DonnaMarie

"Curbitrol is a proprietary formula of amino acids that support very important brain chemicals including L-dopa, epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine and gamma-aminobutyric acid many of which are affected when smoking cigarettes. Curbitrol uses natural precursors to many of these neurotransmitters in the brain to help the natural structure and function of these brain chemicals when you make a decision to stop smoking cigarettes." (Curbitrol - General Sciences )

Not sure this would make me confident that it's something that I'd want to take. Can you talk to your doctor about it?

Have you considered cold turkey or using a known nicotine replacement therapy? If you do use the Curbitrol, let us know how it works!

Donna

Day 213

Samanthadoom

I have not heard of it but I can ask some caring questions to help you decide if it is right for you.

Is it a medication to help with nicotine cravings? Have you researched it? How did you hear about it? Is it something you feel you need to help you with your quit? Has it worked for someone else you know? What are the warning labels on using it? Do you think it will work with your chemistry to help you quit? Anywho, hope that helps. You got this no matter what direction you take to quit. We are all here and I...am currently working on quitting thee cig. Its been arough week. We got this! We can do this! Let's do this! Goodbye nicotine. 

Holli9193

Thank you all so very much. I am doing the cold turkey route. I have done patches and gum. Hypnosis even. Failed at all of it. I am my biggest judge. I have beat myself up to the point of tears. Yesterday was really bad. Felt like a complete failure. Everyone around me wants me to quit. My mind knows I need to quit doesnt take a genius to know why. I started when I was 13 and have done it everyday and I am 47 now. That's along time to to be committed to something that is seriously not good for you. I think mine is more of an emotional connection. I dont know how to break that part of it. I get upset I smoke. I get nervous I smoke. I get mad I smoke. If I need to relax I smoke. I'm a big hot mess I can tell ya that. My family well some are supportive others second guess me and cut me down really bad when I fail. Which only ignites the anger so I do what I do and smoke a cigarette. I dont know what to do. So I decided to reach out in this group. I appreciate all the helpful tips and your knowledge of the curbitrol. Which I will not be doing. Do not want to be dependent on anything else. Smokes are enough. thanks again

maryfreecig

You did the right thing.  Ex is here for you 365. Stick around, read, learn, blog and turn your cold turkey quit into a smart turkey quit. Exers get how weird it is to quit no matter why it is so good for us, so healthy, we get that it's weird. Just know that everyone here is cheering for you to find the kind of quit you are wanting. Yes you can, one day at a time.

Holli9193

Thanks for the open arm welcomes. Appreciate it alot. 

0 Kudos