cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

reen2u

I am new and I will succeed

Hello.  I am Maureen. In 53 yrs old and a mother to beautiful 20 year old twin girls. 

The night I got pregnant with them I had quit smoking after 19 years. 

I didn't want it to be 20 years that I had smoked.  I kept it up for 6 wonderful years.  I started smoking again in 2004. I've quit for weeks at a time,  but always went back. 

This has to be the final attempt. I got diagnosed with melanoma on my scalp last July. I had 2 surveys and they found it no where else. You would of thought all I went through would of made me quit. But it didn't. In December of last year I was hospitalized with what I thought was pnemonia. After 4 days they told me they found nodules on my left lung. After going back up to Dana Farber and having a petscan it was confirmed. I have stage 4, because it metastasized,  melanoma in left lung.  You think that would of made me quit smoking. Nope! I've used cigarettes to get through alot of painful and difficult times in my life. My girls can't understand why I still smoke. Neither can I really but they don't know the addiction. The breaking even when I had one 20 minutes ago. I've got the patch,  i've got the gum. When I did it in 1998 I did the gum for a few days then went cold turkey. Im going to try to do the same again. To me the vape I have keeps the smoking sensation going. The patch will keep the nicotine going. I pray I can have the strength to do it for the rest of my life. Which I want to be a lot longer. 

I look forward to reading posts. I had a quit partner back then. Now it's just me. I have to do this for me. 

Tags (1)
22 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community reen2u I'm just seeing your post I'm not real tech savvy BUT I'll mention YoungAtHeart and she'll welcome you with some links to read please read them because they'll help you understand this horrid addiction and should help strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it, you can do this believe it and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can, I'm so sorry for everything you are going through it is time to take back your life from the clutches of the dreaded nicotine poison and start living a life of Freedom....

reen2u

Thank you so much

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

AnnetteMM

It's a common theme here that we don't take quitting seriously until we're seriously sick and we have to. That's how strong nicotine addiction is. You were able to quit cold turkey before and stay quit for a long time. You can do it again.

Patches and gum have nicotine and can lengthen your withdrawal symptoms if you keep using them for a long time.

Being accountable absolutely helps, and that's why this community works for us. Stick around and let us help.

sweetplt

Welcome to Ex’s reen2u ...

I am glad you found our site.  I am so sorry about everything you went through and are going through now...unfortunately, many of us pushed the limits...had bad health issues and continued to smoke until we have had enough...You are so right about this addiction...please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and make a quit date and prepare for that day like no other...also, read the blogs here and support other quitters and come ask for help.  You can do this...it is a choice...make it...we are here for you...God bless...~ Colleen 226 DOF 

/blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=3... 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Sorry for what you've been through.  Sounds like a nightmare.   Don't worry about the past.   It's an addiction--that's why people continue to smoke even when they see the damage it's caused themselves or those they love.   It's time to move forward without regrets.   Cold turkey is one option, but there's nothing wrong with using an aid.  There are many quitters on this site that have used them and have been successful.  It's not something you should feel bad about if you choose to use them.   I have 16 months and smoked for 50 years.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers in addition to the support on this site.   The community here really made the difference so stay close and reach out if you need help.  We're here for you.

Barb

reen2u

Hi

Thank you. I know it is hard. I started the day good, positive, but then I caved.

It's because i'm home in a 2 room apartment. Very depressing. No excuse I just didn't like the feelings of sadness that were flooding me. I guess that's expected.

When I did quit for 6 years, I did it on my dad's birthday 1st.

It's coming up and the site said pick a date a week or 2 ahead. It would be good to pick that same date.

I am going to go on site for support daily.

Maybe i'll do it before then.

I do have patches and gum.

Thank you for support!

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Barbscloud

It's important to identify your triggers in advance and plan a course of action when you're have a craving.  Have you developed a quit plan?

My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=3be4... 

dartgal

You can do this!  

0 Kudos
Giulia

LOVE that positive attitude you're jumping in with.... I WILL SUCCEED!!!!"  That's exactly the kind of attitude necessary to push through this addiction to the other side.  And the other side is SO wonderful!  Reading here will give you the necessary education.  Attitude, education, perseverance  and commitment are the necessary tools.  And support will help a great deal.  I believe it's support that made the difference in the longevity of my quit (13 years now).  I had quit a couple of times before for several months (once for a year), but like you, always went back.  Part of each of those relapses was me thinking I could just smoke one or two for a brief period of time.  Not possible.  One leads to all for many years.  Once I learned that, I never had to experience another day one.  You won't either.  By the way, SMART TURKEY is better than cold turkey!  You will learn much here.  Stay open minded.  The quitting journey is one of hope and strength.  It's incredibly empowering.  Your diagnosis is tough and I feel for you.  I think quitting is one the best things you can do for you body and your mind.  Have heart!  You might take a gander at Positive Affirmations and Support  We've got your hand.