cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

What made this nest?????

So tonight I walked out the front door to go throw apples out to the edge of the woods for the deer. We have a little sidewalk across from the front door that I have a long mulched flower bed against it. I did not see this nest yesterday, so it is new. I see not a thing flying around it. It is raised about 1 and half inches from the ground width of it is about 3-4 inches. The hole is centered and about an inch wide or slightly less perhaps? In all the years at the farm, I have never seen a nest like this and I have seen many yellow jacket nest in the ground in the pastures...but this?????? It almost resembles puppy chow with a hole in the center...and no, my dog was not in that area.,..or any other dog. HELP!

Would a hummingbird do that?

Meanwhile I am going to be watching it with binoculars in the morning to see what the heck made it.

IMG_0268.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
92 Replies
jonimarie

oiye....no idea but certainly not hummingbird....now I am going to have nightmares

Mandolinrain

,lol, me 2

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I will keep you posted, but I think you are correct

0 Kudos
Giulia

I do believe Posamari hit the nail on the head.  Fascinating.  I've seen those kinds of nests and always wondered what they might be, thinking they might be snake holes.  But now I just learned snakes don't MAKE holes.  They kick someone else out of theirs (or eat them) and take over.    Will be very interested to see what you discover!  Hummingirds nest in trees, not in the ground.

Mandolinrain

Didnt know snakes didnt make holes either, geese. I was pretty certain it was not hummingbird but had to ask, lol

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Ugh Missy Mandolinrain I so don’t know...I am not good with nature items...anxious to know what it is...looks like something is still using it...be careful...ugh...lol...xoxoxox ~ Colleen 225 DOF 

Mandolinrain

Yep, so far thats what Im thinking according to the article you and Posamarie sent

0 Kudos