cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

George-Martin

Maybe this will help someone

I quit for over 3 years sometime back  and unfortunately started back however  I just remembered something that helped me back when I did my quit sometime back-maybe helpful to others.  I am starting new again-BTW!

We as smokers mentally brand ourselves as smokers as if we smoked non stop all day long.  

If we consider one cigarette takes about 5 minutes to smoke and I smoke 20 a day( a pack)- that means I am really only smoking 100 minutes a day- which means i really only smoke a fraction of time each day- most of the day really I spend as a non smoker or not smoking.  

I feel like it helped me before to realize most of my day is actually spent not smoking-so that is an interesting thought- even as smokers we get thru all but 100 minutes a day (as a pack a day user smoking) which means i get thru most of my day not smoking!

Hope that makes sense and is helpful

I do realize the addiction is a separate issue-however this realization was helpful knowing i do most things during a day  -even as a smoker -without smoking. In any 12 hour day-(unless you smoke 5 packs a day)- I only spend less than an hour and a half smoking. Its was kind of interesting to realize that even as a smoker I don't smoke the most of the day- just a small fraction of it.

Hope this helps- it does for me.  

8 Replies
Beck37

Oh.... I was thinking as an ex smoker about how I had wasted over 100 minutes a day..... 

Just do whatever it takes to be successful. We all play mind games to trick us into changing our way of thinking. You were successful at this before so you know what needs to be done. 

Beck

George-Martin

its not really a mind trick- it is a quantum theory game-call it a trick if you like- I heard if we can convince the mind of something the body will follow -Deepak Chopra.  If we get it thru our head early that most of the day we are a non smoker - because truly we only spend a small percentage of the day actually smoking-it helps to counter the brain washing that we are under with cigarettes-I appreciate the reply and -really- I do realize there are many ways to beat cigarettes at their ugly game-this was just something that helped me before 

Thx for the reply

indingrl

Hey do whatever YOU gotta DO - YOU gotta WANT to be a NON SMOKER by choosing what works best for YOU - thanks for sharing YOUR experience strength and HOPE - CONGRATS YOUR  ON NICOTINE FREEDOM - WAY TO GO!!! Yahoooooooooo and GOOD JOB- gentle hug❤  

sweetplt

It is great to help others on this journey...this will help you too...but truthfully other quits are in the past ... you can’t change the past and you can’t change the future, but you can Choose today not to smoke...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 210 DOF 

elvan

I think it's an interesting way to think of it, I do absolutely remember how much more time I had to do other things after I quit.  I appreciate those minutes more than I can say,

Ellen

aboyd63

Thank you for sharing it was helpful to realize  that I wasted time smoking and thinking about wanting to smoke. I am so grateful to have quit smoking now   it has been  a great  accomplishment for me to trust myself that I can stay smokefree day by day

Arlene  88DOF

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I started telling myself I was a nonsmoker and it finally stuck...self-talk works. Thanks for sharing. 

0 Kudos
Kboyd66

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the community 

0 Kudos