cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

George-Martin

When to quit

So I appreciate all the replies I got to first post!

I quit for two days - almost- this last week and broke.  When i started back I could really feel what the nicotine was doing to my nerves even after quitting for that short period- when i started back - I felt more panicky- I got relief at first but quickly I could feel how these cigarettes make me feel sick!

The cigarettes don't calm nerves- they make them worse- I could defintely feel the difference just from stopping for a few days- the cravings just overwhelmed me.

I really want to go for this again soon-  I am a musician and have a pretty busy week coming up- maybe its good to go ahead and start quit ASAP- being busy might be a good thing?- although i set it for a week from tomorrow

Any Thoughts?

Thanks to All

13 Replies
Barbara145

You get to chose your quit day.  Glad you saw how smoking makes it more difficult to cope.  It is so true.  You can do this.

YoungAtHeart

Staying busy is KEY in the early days, so I would recommend you go for it.  We have a member here who also is a musician.  I will tag him here (JonesCarpeDiem‌) so he might share his early journey.  If I remember correctly, he played music for the first two weeks of his quit!

Remember there is never a good reason to smoke - there are only excuses.  You need to keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip, and perhaps some sugar free gum or mints.  Some folks have used cut up straws and even pulled air through them. Any kind of exercise is a good thing to fit in - even marching in place works.

Stay close to us and blog "HELP" before you light up again and give us time to talk you off the ledge!

Nancy

Beck37

There will never be a right time if you are not totally committed to the quit.  Life is going to happen whether we are smoking or not. Cigarettes are not magic wands and as you are discovering really will not resolve anything within ourselves that keep us smoking. 

Why do you want to quit? Are there any positives to smoking? Could cigarettes be distracting from your music? If you truly want to quit you will. Stay out of your head. Without shear determination and stubbornness you will probably fail. I smoked for 37 years and have been quit for 6 months now and don’t miss it at all. Had no idea how I would deal with the stresses of life, but guess what? Smoking enhanced the stresses of life. Who would have thought.....

You can so do this and we are here to help when you need us.....

Beck

elvan

PLAN your quit, know what to do when a crave hits...they will hit.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone and musicians should get their dopamine through music.

You CAN do this, your start date is up to you, I would quit as soon as you can and get on this amazing journey.

Best,

Ellen

Gwenivere

I’m sorry you had such a bad reaction to your relapse.  That sounds odd to say, but I have wondered if I could go back to it if got too tough.  My body still gets nicotine from replacements, but not that instant hit anymore.  The closest I’ve tried is a disposable cig and I got very dizzy.  I didn’t like it.  Others have relapsed and didn’t get anxious.  I’m amazed at the experiences each individual has with this battle.  I’m assuming you are thinking cold turkey, so I can’t really add much to truly help except my hopes that you figure out your best option for when.   

sweetplt

Sorry you lost your quit George-Martin ... Did you do any of the suggestions in your last post? Readings, preparation, etc., you got to have a plan...and truthfully nicotine is still in your system for at least 72 hours ... you are going through withdrawal...and need to get out and get busy when you start having the panicky feeling...go walk, lift some weights, clean something...etc., You can do this George... and I am glad you planned a new quit date...you need to do the work during this time...and keep close to the site...~ Happy Monday ~ Colleen 210 DOF 

maryfreecig

It's an addiction--100%. So the day you choose to quit has to have meaning for you. Getting over the dependency is a one day at a time job. And to start, for many that means feeling uncomfortable ( a few see the light and quit reasonably comfortably). Sometimes I wonder if 'the easy way to quit' hasn't become an urban legend of sorts in that would be quitters think that logic (it's awful for me to smoke) and intention (I hate smoking so I want to quit) are all that should be required to quit. In those two days of not smoking you tested your resolve (good for you) and you also discovered the power of nicotine dependency.

Yes you can quit, this week, next Monday...you can. But you set the day, you call the shots. Remember though, that addiction wants to bargain away your desire to quit. My quit date was set by me--I came to the conclusion that a carton was enough to get myself together...when it was finished the plane would be taking off--period. That was 5 years and 9 months ago.

As uncomfortable as quitting can be, it's also thrilling. So make your plans, stick with Ex and thanks for sharing your story.

stAn3

Day 2,was always hardest for me. I also have experience with relapse. Use the time before your quit date to prepare. Notice the times when your craving to smoke are the strongest. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Get your nicotine replacement if you use that to help you quit. Read up on nicotine addiction. All this preparation will help you when you quit again. Most important, keep coming back to the site and posting.

green1611

Quit day .. Ah ! It is new life day, new birth to your self.

Be positive, select the day and go ahead. No look back at any costs....No smoking, no no no.

you would find it interesting as the body responds positively, and so the mind.

All the best 1

0 Kudos