cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angelpar

Think twice before picking up another cigarette

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my story in hopes that it may help someone.   I smoked a pack a day for awhile as teen and young adult in secret.  I quit for twenty years.  I went back after losing my mother and was extremely stressed over all the changes in my life. I went back to a pack a day immediately.  I quit 5 yrs later.  I did well for 5 yrs until my roommates and I lost our house.  I was extremely stressed and started to smoke again.  This time the amount of cigarettes a day increased slowly.  Life threw as another curve ball after we found housing.  My friend, roommate and adopted sister got lung cancer.  In order to help her fight I quit smoking to encourage her to quit and help her with not smoke.   The stress of taking her to chemo and helping her fight was too much.  I started about 4 months after I quit.  You think seeing her suffer and fight would have scared me from smoking.  It didn't!  She passed away March 2018.  A week after I found out I had renal cancer.  I continued to smoke.  I had part of kidney removed.  I continued to smoke.  The doctor told me that the form of cancer I had like to go to the lungs, I was scared.  I still continued to smoke.  I was stubborn.  Finally everything sunken in my thick skull.  I was lucky to be alive and not needing any cancer treatments.  I saw what smoking did to my friend and roommate.  I had to lose a part of me to stop the madness.  September 29, 2018 is my quit date.  Thing is I knew that they found in studies that smoking does not help with anxiety.  That it actually increases anxiety.  It was a bad coping still.  Did it help me? No!.  I am smoke free for 9 months and cancer free for a year.  I am celebrating life and smoke free life.  

I am hoping that my story may help someone think twice before picking up a cigarette again.  Cancer is real!  It is scare on both sides.  Watching, losing someone and being the person with cancer.  It is not worth it.  I hope we can encourage one another to stay strong and fight this addiction to tobacco.

44 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s angelpar Thank you for sharing your story...I am sure it will help someone...I am sorry for all your losses...and your cancer...but I am not sorry for 9 months of Freedom...Congratulations...~ Colleen 204 DOF 

angelpar

Thank you!

"I am smoke free for 9 months and cancer free for a year."

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Yes, I'm yelling - with joy!  Keep up the Great work - we have your back!

angelpar

Thank You

lqsi12

At times your life has been both sad and difficult yet your willingness to share with others to wake us up, THANk YOU 

Prayers that your now at peace with life and your quit 

angelpar

Thank you

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have some time under your belt and you have learned a lot, thanks for sharing with us.  I think that if you read blogs and start commenting, you have a lot to offer to help stop someone from smoking again.  I smoked for 47 years and have been smoke free for over five, thanks to this site and the loving support I got here.  I am really proud of you for your quit and happy for you that you are cancer free.

Congratulations,

Ellen

MarilynH

I'm so sorry about your friend and for your cancer but I'm so glad that you have 9 precious Smokefree months in and counting YAY for each and every Day WON, I'll be celebrating 5 years of Smokefree living on the 14th of July stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can. angelpar

indingrl

Welcome and thank you so much for sharing YOUR experience - CONGRATS  9 MONTHS NICOTINE FREEDOM- yahooooooo and WAY TO  GO! gentle hug ❤