cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Quitting and hypothyroidism

Anyone here battling changes with this condition since they quit?  I’m now back in the struggle to find a balance again as mine is quite severe.  Makes it very hard to feel much appreciation for quitting.  I don’t feel all the good things most do and that keeps me in the background wishing I could post a YAY, I’m doing it post.  

84 Replies
Barbscloud

I was actually diagnosed with it since I quit.  Kept gaining weight and finally decided it wasn't normal and contacted my doctor in early March.  There is some research out there saying it's not uncommon to develop hypothyroidism within the first two years of quitting. It was kind of a crummy way to celebrate my one year anniversary smoke free.   My numbers were off the charts, but have dropped dramatically with medication.

Curious, what changes are you experiencing?

Gwenivere

Barbscloud‌, I’m off the chart at 34.  Yup, 34!  They are switching me from Armor to synthoid.  Have tried this before and didn’t do well.  I have the usual fatigue but edema in my ankle and feet that I never had.  Back pain is worse, my vision is blurred sometimes, cold and in general fogged out.  What’s weird is I have so much anxiety, diarrhea, tremors, feel hot too and no weight gain.  Restless all the time or could sleep for hours.  It’s like I’m both hypo and hyper.

It is crummy.  Seems I read about this too.

Barbara145‌, I’m glad to hear about your son.  I have a panic disorder so I have to take meds daily to function.  

Barbscloud

Yea, that is above normal.  When mine was first diagnosed, it was 168.   I was doing some reading yesterday and couldn't find anything about quitting smoking making it worse if you already have hypothyroidism.   Only about folks being diagnosed after quitting and  current smokers contracting hyperthyroidism (Grave's disease).   I'm just learning about this, but it seems it can be difficult to control for some folks.  I've also read quite a lot about it's not just the numbers.  It's how you feel.

Do you have an Endocrinologist?.     I don't yet.  If not, maybe you need one.

And,  yay you are doing it!

NicMensinga

Hi Gwen,

How are you? I also have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Mine is also related to HPA axis dysfunction. Sounds complex but it's basically a malfunction of our stress response. Too much trauma/stress/anxiety over the years which then creates huge problems. It can also be called adrenal insufficiency... Have you heard of it? Google it and see if any of your symptoms you can relate to. I also have low sodium levels due to this condition. I add salt to lunch and dinner which helps. I treat this condition with lose doses of cortisol through a compound chemist. Costs me around $50 every 3 months so it's not expensive. I also take T3 only medication for my thyroid which is the same cost. I am in Australia so I am not sure what you can get over there or whether  you can have it sent from here. I hope this info helps a little. I hope you are doing ok  xx

minihorses

I've never heard of HPA axis until now. Wow, I have so many of the symptoms listed.  I also have low sodium levels in every bloodwork test I get even if I eat salty stuff. One time I stuffed my face with salty stuff for a week before getting labs and they still came back with low sodium.  That told me it wasn't the food intake causing the problem.  I went back to my normal diet.  I don't know how any doctor can tell if you have one of these weird conditions. It doesn't seem like there are any tests that point to a diagnosis like these. 

NicMensinga

Hi! Sorry for my very late reply!! I have been overseas and moving interstate after that.. Not been on here since!

You can order a saliva test to check your cortisol levels. I order mine through Nutripath (online). If not, you can order a 24 hour cortisol urine test with your doc. Yep low sodium is a big part of it! I crave salt and vinegar chips (crisps?) and can eat a whole packet haha!

Finding a holistic doc can be a challenge but they are around. How you going now?

Barbara145

Good morning Gwen.  Good to hear from you.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto"s) when I was 55 years old.  I was still smoking.  Thyroid problems are more prevalent in females.  (Hormone stuff.)  I did not quit smoking until I was 66.  I went through a period when they could not get me stable.  They had to keep changing my dose.  (I was an emotional mess.)  Just recently read an article that said our levels have a lot to do with how stable we are emotionally.  I think you said you are on Xanax.  When my son called a therapist to help him stop drinking she told him he would have to get off the Xanax first.  He went to his family practice doctor.  He put him on Klonopin.  He was able to get off Xanax.  He was also able to quit drinking.  It will be 5 years at Christmas since he quit. (He still uses a little bit of Klonopin.  He is a wonderful man who continues to grow emotionally since he is sober. Keep praying for your solutions and come here and read.  Your solutions are out there.  Enjoy your day.  Make a gratitude list. 

AnnetteMM

I've been taking synthroid for years. It's a very common condition.

indingrl

Thanks for your courage and self honesty-  Post what YOU NEED to -  I don't mind - I like reading blogs with an open mind and a desire to be HELPFUL - experiences here are of a HUGE variety - vent blogs - just plain sharing blogs -  it is progress -  NOT PERFECTION OR PEOPLE PLEASING -  just be yourself -  MY beloved Gwenivere - please and thank you in HIS love and service ❤ gentle hug.