cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

j.deer3090

I smoked....

Here I am at the end of day three and i smoked..i feel such a sence of regret now that im done. There goes my three days. I ahould have kept the patch on longer

23 Replies
indingrl

Thank you so much for sharing your courage and self honesty - No worries - I quit and smoked again - and came right back here - to begin again. - feelings come and go - FACT - you may choose to start now - new day now - gentle hug ❤

Barb102

It’s ok you can start over. This time arm yourself and distract yourself until the urge passes and it will. Read all you can on what to do when the crave hits. I know you can do this. We will support you

sweetplt

Glad you came and told us...better to come before you smoke and let us try and talk you out of smoking.  You can start over...have you rid all smoking paraphernalia...? How were you able to smoke ...? If you haven’t already, please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you will gain knowledge about the quit and preparation.  It is more than your patch.  It is working hard for this quit...and keeping close to here for support...We are all in this together...so get reading...and you will be a quitter in no time...~ Colleen 184 DOF 

TW517

I know you feel bad.  Almost all of us here have been there / done that.  It's really good that you came here though.  Please stay close to the site and begin your quit again as soon as possible.  We're here for you and want to help you succeed. 

Andstillirise

It happens . Don’t beat yourself up . I had quit for FOUR years and thought I could smoke just ONE and not go back to smoking . Wrong . 

Start again . This has happened to many of us . 

You’ve got this ! 

Giulia

You're not alone.  There's only ONE person I know on here who quit only once.  And I think that's YoungAtHeart  The rest of us mortals had to do it over and over - and over - until we finally 'wised up.'  

We ALWAYS regret putting that next cigarette in our mouths.  But we will continue to do so (because this addiction is so strong) until we FINALLY decide that we want no more regrets.  When the desire to remain smoke-free becomes greater than the desire to smoke - we will have found our everlasting Freedom.  Note that I didn't say "when we want to quit more than we want to smoke."  

So why didn't you keep the patch on?  Why didn't you follow the instructions given about how long to use it?  Or maybe you did and I'm asking the wrong question.  But if you think you should have kept the patch on longer - lesson learned, right?  Three days and you could have had a day 4 tomorrow.  So?  Jump right back on the horse into your quit.  DON'T WAIT!  That saddle gets cold really quickly and a momentary slip can become another lifetime of smoking.  No kidding.  You've got to immediately get back to your quit. (MOO - my opinion only).  Slap the patch on again and start from scratch.  Take what you've learned and move forward.  Continuing to smoke is going backward.  You can do this.  You just have to keep at it with AVIDITY!  Come on.  Say "YES I CAN."  Write it on a sticky note and put it it in front of your face.  Hey, maybe write it backwards and stick it on your forehead and look at yourself in the mirror.  (Psssst - gotta keep a sense humor about it all.  It helps!)  

elvan

At least it was only three days...although I am sure that doesn't make you feel better.  You know what happened, what went wrong.  You CAN do this.  It isn't easy but it is POSSIBLE!

Giulia‌ I believe JonesCarpeDiem‌ quit on his first try. 

Giulia

Dale - true???  Sorry if I got it wrong.  Whomever quit on your first try SPEAK UP!  We need to shout you out to the community!  

Yes, I quit the first time and I attribute it to my month's preparation of saying "I'm going to wait a little while longer" every time I thought of smoking.

After 4 weeks, I was down to 5 a day and I had proven to myself I didn't need to smoke just because I thought I did.

It was at that point I bought my final pack and I set a date for the day after New Years, 4 days away. (5 a day)

The first 2 weeks I spent playing guitar at a friends house 10 hours a day. (dopamine)  We had a little game that made each day new. He'd put on a cd of every different style of music, from country to rap, and I would play guitar along with it.

The 12th day when I had forgotten to use the patch 2 days in a row, I stopped using the patches.

That night, I joined an online quit smoking group like this and learned what I brought with me. I had been quit 18 months at that point.