cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mercury87436

Successfully quit smokers: what strategies worked for you to curb the social trigger?

My quit day is tomorrow (yay!) and I have been successfully disconnecting from my triggers, except that I live in a rural area where smoking is very common and part of the social structure. People smoke everywhere! Most of my dear friends are heavy smokers, and I have been noticing the most resistance between my rational-wanting-to-quit brain and my nutso-addicted-smoker brain in social situations. I have a couple of strategies I have been trying to implement socially, but they feel feeble! So, successfully quit smokers, I am wondering what you did to eliminate that social aspect of the habit. Any tips or tricks that really packed a punch for you? Thanks!

15 Replies
maryfreecig

Powerful question. Can you take a few weeks off from socializing while you get your quit together? Smokers tend to feel guilty around someone who has quit. So rather than defend your quit (if you are inclined) why not just explain that you have to do this for yourself and that it is not about them or their smoking. Just a few thoughts. Welcome to Ex. Likely you'll hear from others on Ex pretty soon.

One day at a time, yes you can.

mercury87436

Thank you! I plan to take time off socializing, but I am more referring to after that. That seems to be what has tripped me up in the past. I am constantly surrounded by it!

maryfreecig

Then stay connected with Ex, blog here first about your ups and downs and let us quitters give you the support you'll need to stay on track. Avoiding temptation (romancing the cigarette) is work, but staying connected with quitters can help you face and deal with romancing the cigarette. 

jep9703

Love the idea of "romancing the cigarette."  Must go "no contact"....  Going outside for a walk and deep breathing has worked well.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s 

Congratulations on the decision to quit smoking tomorrow...I hope you have read about quitting, crave/triggers, etc.,  Also, I hope you are prepared to make Day 1, Day Won...If you haven’t already, read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... this will help you out with knowledge and preparation.  

In the beginning, I had to stay away from socializing, drinking, etc., I was determined to do what I must to stay quit.  This was tough one for me, but I let all know, I would be a hermit for sometime...The first time I socialized I made a tonic with lime...and no alcohol...stayed away from alcohol for awhile...I now drink wine, instead of beer.  You will find everything we do after quitting smoking is making new memories so we will no longer have associations with cigarettes...This is a tough journey, but so doable...You Just have to make YOUR quit and YOU the number one priority for a few weeks...WE are in this journey together.  WE are here for you.  I will tell you ... I love being an ex~smoker...

~ Colleen 184 DOF 

Andstillirise

I also live in a rural area and most people I know smoke . The first few weeks I totally avoided them . After that I was okay as long as I knew I was going to be tempted . I wasn’t either . 

The thing that that has helped me the MOST to get through the cravings , the sadness , the irritability and the mental anguish has been EXERCISE ! 

Also make a promise to yourself , you will not take one puff no matter how stressed you are . Cigarettes don’t make it better . 

Im an early quitter ....only at 52 but more seasoned quitters will give you better advice . 

Congrats on quitting!!! You got this ! 

Sootie

You may think this is crazy and I cannot promise it would work for you....but it worked for me.

Stopping socializing simply did not work for me. I have a HUGE extended family of which many live nearby. We are always dropping in, getting together...every Sunday after church is like a big family gathering at someone's home. AND....of course......many still smoke. Even if no one did, I ALWAYS smoked at these social occasions.

So I got a substitute. Every time I felt like smoking in a social setting, I would pop a cough drop in my mouth. Most people who have been on EX for awhile have read my blogs about HALLS Mentho lyptus cough drops (actually, I think HALLS should give me some kick back money!!). ALL cough drops(not just HALLS) have a small amount of anesthetic in them and I think it was that which calmed down the urge for a cigarette. This really worked for me.

You will find what works for you if you just persevere and do not smoke.

Quitting is one of the BEST things you will ever do.......THAT I CAN PROMISE!!!!

Giulia

What curbed the social trigger for me was a different mindset.  Until you recognize and acknowledge that you're not 'missing' anything, that you're not being 'left out,' that you can hang out with smokers without craving a cigarette - it's best you don't put yourself in that situation.  Or change your thinking.  This is all about mindset.  Truly.  You agree to stop smoking "no matter what," and you adhere to the NOPE tenet, or you have your own personal quit-truth talisman in the back pocket of you mindset that keeps you from smoking (mine was I never wanted to go through another day one)... but if your strategies feel feeble - they WILL be. Trust your instincts.  I find they rarely let us down.

Well this is no help at all.  Thinking out loud here, which can be  good thing or a really bad thing.  (just take what you need and leave the rest.)  

Ultimately you have to ask and answer the question of whether you want to be smoke free.  If you do, then you will do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal.  Whether it's no socializing or whether it's coming to the agreement and acceptance with your choice to not smoke - NO MATTER WHAT.  Because when you get to that point - the NMW point, you can go anywhere and do anyTHING because even if you're triggered, you won't smoke No Matter What.  

How deep is you commitment?  If it's with "all of you"  no matter what - you can't fail. In no matter what circumstance in which you find yourself.  If it's with allowances and excuses -  you'll never achieve the freedom you're here for.  This response may be way out of the box of what you requested.  Just - add it in to you overall quit journey.

AnnetteMM

I secretly adopt a superior attitude in my mind, thinking to myself how much better I smell and how healthy I am. (Cue nose in air.) Also, walking away is always an option. "Oh, I need a refill...over there."