cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

algwbritt

I am so ready to quit

I am so ready to quit this nasty disgusting habit. Problem is that I live with and I am surrounded by smokers. I have tried many different ways, but constantly smelling it makes me want to continue. Getting rid of ashtrays etc is not possible. Help

2 Replies
mrios5776

I am close to 300 days smoke free and my wife is a pack and a half day smoker, it can be done, just depends on how you want to go about it.everyone is different. I laid no ground rules for my wife, that is not fair to her. Others have laid firm hard rules for their spouses, significant others, again, everyone is different.This is/was my quit. If she lit up close to me I would move to another part of the house. occasionally I will ask her to refrain. One comment I have made that made her put her cigarette out; I said "Man that smells good" or Can I bum a cigarette from you?"My wife has been very supportive and seeing me stay quit has planted the seed for her to quit as well although at this point I see year(s) before she tries.

Some of the first fourteen days and no man's land symptoms (read the blogs) are going to stay with you longer if you have others smoking  around you. That has been my experience. 

Get as much education as you can on the subject, set a plan and a quit date, read the blogs, stay on the site, you will find a tremendous amount of support and encouragement! Welcome and  good luck on your journey.