cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ktraskal

Spring Cleaning

I would never associated spring cleaning as a craving trigger. 128 days quiet and every time I take a short break I am having strong cravings. I will not smoke today but it is not easy.  

22 Replies
YoungAtHeart

My most difficult trigger, and the one that lingered the longest was the "reward" at break time or the end of a task.  Even at almost seven years quit, I will still get the "gee a cigarette would be nice right now" thought when taking a break from chores I haven't repeated often enough to relearn them.

Easy to dismiss and nothing even close to a craving, but the thought always surprises me!

Shake your head, say "NOPE" aloud and be on your way!

Nancy

Ktraskal

Thanks. That is the attitude I am working to maintain .  I will shake my head, say NOPE and be on my way. 

0 Kudos
indingrl

GOOD JOB! Yahoooooo CONGRATS 128 NICOTINE FREE- WAY TO GO! 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Congratulations on 128! That is a big deal. Keep working your quit one day at a time.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Congratulations on 128 DOF ... At 128 Days I wasn’t feeling triggers/craves as much...once in awhile I get a moment and a bit uncomfortable and it the moment passes.  It seems that when you relax you want to smoke....perhaps you work on finding another relaxing technique...maybe take a short walk, do meditation, watch a comedy program for 1/2 hour, etc., You have come such a long way, but I think under 1 year quit we are still redefining our quit needs...~ Colleen 181 DOF 

0 Kudos
elvan

It is definitely part of the journey and the "Reward Cigarette" is a tough one to give up because we really thought it was a reward.  Try having some sour candy around or some POPSICLES.  They are not too high in calories and it's nice to sit down and enjoy one...or three.  When you finish a chore, come here and read or post, you are doing GREAT,

Ellen

Ktraskal

Thanks all for the support it is a huge help. 

MarilynH

You're doing super fantastic with your awesome quit journey YAY for your 128 stupendous Smokefree days and counting WTG it's going to keep getting easier and easier with time under your belt....

0 Kudos
Giulia

Even now after a 13 year quit every once in a blue moon I get that "reward" trigger.  That too was my toughest to overcome.  Well, and after meals.  Well, and while drinking with friends.  And well.... yeah dot dot dot.  But really that one still comes back to bite me now and again.  A little annoying gnat at this point - no longer a horse fly!  lol  But a reminder of the power of this buggering addiction.

128 days.  Strong cravings.  So what?  You want your freedom, right?  Stay the course no matter what!  You're just about out of No Man's Land.  Freedom is right around the corner.  Cling to your quit.  You really don't want to re-visit another Day One.  Triggers can be overcome simply by changing focus and persevering.  The fact that you recognize spring cleaning as a trigger means you've gained the wisdom to get through it.  Bravo on your 128 days.  Can you remember how much you wished you had that many when you first started this journey?  Dwell on that happy fact!