cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ashbashcash

This is the LAST time I do this!

I'll be 34 in July and I started smoking when I was about 14 years old. This is my 3rd quit and I just promised myself I won't put myself through this again by never taking a single puff ever again! I was in my mid 20s the first time I quit and did it with patches. That lasted about a year until a night at the bar got me smoking again. My second quit was about 4 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter (that was the easiest for some reason... took the pregnancy test and just didn't smoke again after that). I was going through a stressful time about 2 summers ago and picked up this disgusting habit again. Here I am on Day 3 of my last quit and going cold turkey. I'm so sick of hiding from my toddler and making up lies as to why mommy needs to go outside (my husband has had to cover for me). I'm sick of the smell. I'm sick of being out of breath when I'm at the park with my kid. The cravings are strong but not as strong as my motivation right now. I've learned that I can never have even a single puff ever again in my life if I want to win. Why have I kept putting myself through this? Share your quit stories with me so I can read them and get over the Day 3 hump already!

19 Replies
maryfreecig

Congratulations on day 3. And thanks for sharing your quit story.

My quit story is here (if you care to read) https://quittinthesmokes.blogspot.com/

My name is Mary and I quit over 5.5 years ago. Like you, I did it cold turkey. I searched the net early on for quit stories--looking for encouragement. It helped. Keep working your quit one hour at a time--whatever it takes.

ashbashcash

This is perfect maryfreecig! Thank you so much for sharing!

notch9

Yes congratulations on Day 3. You are absolutely right that you can never take another puff if you want to sustain your quit. I quit almost 4 years ago after many failed attempts some lasting more than a year, like you. I finally learned a few hard lessons that have kept my quit strong. The main one is that I would never take another puff, no matter what.  Keep posting and take it one day at a time.

Strudel

You are in a great place for support - be sure to stay close! Congrats to you! 

prjimm01

You have decided to live - a good choice!!!  Enjoy it my friend, we are with you for the whole ride.

Giulia

My quit story:  when I finally "got" that I couldn't have just "one," I never had another Day One.  THE EX ONE PUFF FILES

PS - you can click on any member's avatar, go to the their page and read every one of their blogs from the first to last.  

0 Kudos
elvan

You really sound like you have a GREAT attitude.  Alcohol and quitting smoking do not go well together and many quits have been lost because of drinking.  At least most places do not allow smoking anymore.  We all want this to be your last quit, your "forever" quit!  Stay close to the site, reading blogs really does help.

Ellen

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s ashbashcash 

Congratulations on the decision to take your Life back from addiction...Three times and a charm...I too am on my third and last quit at the age of 54 ... I was so tired of the addiction and I was starting to have physical problems due to smoking...I am now 6 months Free and have no intention of ever smoking...NOPE (Not one puff ever)...

You can do this...keep busy, deep breaths, drink lots of water...don’t end up sick like so many of us from smoking.  Be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... keep close to the site for support...~ Colleen 181 DOF 

jonimarie

Congratulations on day 3. It is all about excuses and a commitment. Not making an excuse anymore to have a cigarette. Committing to not smoke again. Life starts to unfold beautifully if you believe this. Yep,will be days that are tough but for me saying "this to shall pass" or N.O.P.E. I do not do that anymore . Every day not smoked when the urge comes I tell myself "Girl you have come too far to travel down that road again" You can do this