cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

notch9

3+ year quitter picked up a cannabis addiction

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and can hardly navigate this site, so I hope I will be able to find this thread again later on to see if there are replies and engage with other people.

I feel like I have gone from one very bad addiction, nicotine, to another much less bad one, but still an addiction. I smoked cigarettes for decades and finally became nicotine free in 2015 and haven't touched a cig since then. Hooray. 

But I did pick up a cannabis addiction. Although it is not very much, less than one joint a day, I am continuously taking in small amounts to run an almost constant buzz.

Quitting nicotine was one of the hardest things I ever did and I'm proud of that accomplishment. I feel ashamed that now I have this other addiction to deal with.

Tags (1)
62 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Drug and alcohol abuse is a common problem today. Just like any addiction, its a problem that you cannot solve on your own. While treatment centers can provide you solutions, you must want to help yourself. Support groups can be helpful but just like you choose not to smoke cigarettes you can make the same choice about marijuana 

Fighting addiction takes hard work and the willingness to do whatever is necessary to not smoke but the effects are worse. Make a list of the reasons you need to quit and focus on that list whenever you have the urge to use and tell yourself no.  Use the same techniques you use to quit smoking.  you have admitted you have a problem, you are on your way to recovery. Your addiction can and will be beaten.  Behavioral therapy may be a plausible route.

0 Kudos
notch9

Hi JACKIE1-25-15

, I fortunately don't have any other addictions, like to alcohol or

narcotics or opioids. And I am very grateful that I was able to kick my

nicotine addiction once and for all. Although I still get the occasional

crave, I know I'm not going to pick up a cigarette and smoke it. In fact, i

get a feeling of revulsion at the thought of smoking a cigarette.

I have started and quit cannabis many times in my life, just like nicotine.

I just haven't kicked it for good.

My main reason for wanting to quit cannabis is that I believe I am addicted

to it and am tired, so tired of being an addict. The second reason is that

i believe it saps my motivation.

I also have a coffee addiction, but I drink a lot less coffee than when I

smoked nicotine.

notch9

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 7:26 AM JACKIE1-25-15 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

It appears you have the right reasons for quitting.  Wishing you the very best. 

YoungAtHeart

You can find this thread again by going to "Home," then "Read the Latest Updates," or click on your avatar (upper right of the page) and go to "Content."

I am not versed in what cannabis does to your brain, but I am sure you can research that.  It would be helpful for you to understand that. 

I am guessing that it is treated like any other addiction.....and think some of the tips for cold turkey cigarette abstinence might apply.  You have to decide you will not smoke another joint NO MATTER WHAT.  Not easy - but doable! 

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each one smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a it just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Take a different route to work.  The better you get at separating yourself from the situations/routines where you used to smoke, the easier this will be. 

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  This takes effort on your part early in your effort, but it gets easier and easier to do.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

You beat the cigarettes - you can beat this, too!

Nancy

notch9

Those are all really good suggestions, Nancy. I remember from quitting cigs

that the main thing that worked for me was to take each day one at a time,

and Distract, Distract, Distract. At first I just decided to quit one day

at a time. I didn't see my way clear to quit for good until several months

later. I do Just for Today's as part of my 12 step program but there is no

Marijuana Anonymous meeting where I live.

I am moderately disabled and have somewhat limited mobility at the moment

but am on a daily program of stretches and physio to get some more mobility

to do the kind of things you are writing about.

I think i am smoking cannabis mostly out of boredom. Once I decide to quit

I can return to this thread to remind myself of all your good suggestions.

notch9

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:02 AM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

anaussiemom

notch9    Same thing for drugs.  I suggest AA Or drug abuse groups.  AA sometimes is a bit more loving with other addictions.  Finding out why you need a buzz can be a important part of recovery ❤️  Many Blessings Kim.

Hotlines for either have meetings everywhere all times of the day.   Just call and walk in you can just listen if you like...

Alcoholics Anonymous : A.A. Near You 

notch9

anaussiemom Thanks for your suggestion of AA. I have had several people in AA tell me that the groups they go to here only accept alcoholics and not people with other addictions. Because of my social anxiety I don't want to show up at a meeting and get rejected for being the wrong kind of addict.

As I mentioned there is no MA meeting where I live. I think it depends a lot on where you are and what the culture of the groups is, but the Steps in AA specifically refer to alcohol and not other addictions. I am in a program called Emotions Anonymous, who take everyone, and go to weekly meetings. I think I could go to NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings though they are all at night time here and I don't like driving at night anymore.

0 Kudos
notch9

I agree it is an important part of recovery to figure out why I want the buzz. A big part is to escape and just be numb.

it's that wonderful hand to mouth habit that you never conquered.  You need to retrain your brain.  Go through the same motions as you did when you quit three years ago when smoking cigarettes.  I'm positive you'll be successful quitting once again !!!

0 Kudos