cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DagnyQ

How long does it take to stop dreaming about smoking

It seems almost every night I am dreaming about smoking. I am in my 7th week. Is this going to go on forever? Because I'm 71, don't have much longer to go anyway, and am wondering if this is worth it.

15 Replies
notch9

I only had one or two smoking dreams during my quit so far. I think it is going to vary a lot from one person to another. Maybe you can write about what is bothersome about these dreams to you. 

Barbscloud

If you do a search on the magnifying glass for smoking dreams or smokemares, you'll find lots of posts about this.  It really seems to vary widely.  Some long time quitters still have them.   I've only had two since my quit  3-18.   They can be scary when you first wake up and think that you smoked.   The important thing is to remember, it's only a dream.

0 Kudos
indingrl

YES  YOU ARE WORTH IT! CONGRATS ON 7 WEEKS NICOTINE FREE - WAY TO GO!!!!

YoungAtHeart

The frequency of smokemares varies, but in most cases they become less frequent as you have been quit longer.

It sounds to me like you might feel that you are missing something by not smoking?  If so, I suggest you get a copy of Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  While it wasn't my experience that it was easy, quick and entertaining read explains that all we thought smoking did for us is a lie.  It was helpful to me and a lot of others to understand this!. 

Once you get a handle on that fact, you might wake up and smile that it was only a dream!  Hope so!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Was trying to find some of the science behind this, but we're talking about dream interpretation.   From everything I could find, there appears to be a difference if you dream about smoking if you still smoke, quit or you've never smoked.  For what it's worth:

"Sometimes, these dreams are a result of abandoning a habit of smoking you had for years, because the subconscious is compensating the loss and needs some time to adapt to that fact.

People who used to smoke for many years might find quitting smoking very hard to accept, and dream about smoking because they still miss their habit. Although dreams about smoking are common for people who smoke, people who don’t smoke, also have such dreams.

For smokers, dreams about smoking usually don’t have a very significant meaning, but for non – smokers, they often signify problems, difficulties, doubts and anxiety. A dream about smoking may indicate suppressing emotions. Maybe you are a person who is very private, having a hard time opening to others.Such a dream might be a message to open yourself more to others and let them into your life.These dreams might also be indicating some conflicts and disagreements you are currently going through. Maybe you feel oppressed in some way or lacking independence, and you need to do something to change that situation.

Dreams about smoking usually indicate you are anxious and under stress. Being anxious is often a reason for dreams about smoking, especially for people who smoke in real life."

Barbara145

Good morning.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.  IT IS WORTH IT.  I am 72.  I quit 5 years ago.  It was difficult.  It is a journey.  It is so much more than quitting smoking.  Our thinking is very immature (smoking does not permit us to feel our feelings and grow.)  I love my new found growth an maturity.  So glad my last chapters are being lived smoke-free.  Keep at it.  You are doing great. 

Giulia

You should find that the dreams will change as time passes.  Not only will they occur less frequently, but they'll become different, less nightmarish.  Seven weeks smoke-free is great but you're still young in your journey.  Be patient.  It's worth it.  YOU'RE worth it.  7 weeks is something to pat yourself on the back for!

Image may contain: text and outdoor

Beck37

OMG, you are only 71, what’s with this whole “I don’t have much longer anyway”? My mother would slap you around on that one. At least you are dreaming. I didn’t sleep for the first 52 days so would have happily traded dreaming of smoking.....

Hang in there.  As with everything else in this crazy journey it will end and you will survive. 

Beck

0 Kudos
notch9

Thinking that quitting might not be worth it is part of the nicotine addiction. It's the kind of thinking that can lead to a relapse. Everyone has a different 'reason', but the real reason is always the same. They are addicted to nicotine.

This would be a good time to revitalize your quit. Remind yourself of the reasons you quit smoking to begin with. There are some other good suggestions in this thread.