cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Apilling09

8 weeks smoke free

Nicotine free for 8 weeks. Still having anxiety and occasional insomnia but the insomnia has gotten much better. Can’t wait to fully feel like myself again. Have heard that many of the withdrawal symptoms tend to pass at about 12 weeks, I know everyone is different but wondering if this has been the case for others? Thanks! 

17 Replies
TW517

Congrats on 8 weeks!  That's huge!

You are right, it really is different for everyone.  But here's a nice guide by JonesCarpeDiem‌:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

Apilling09

Thank you so much!

Good Job.

It takes time to feel normal.

Look for better days ahead and look for the first day you realize you didn't think about smoking once the day before.

Apilling09

Thank you dale, I am praying for better days and keeping my guard up. 

0 Kudos
indingrl

CONGRATS ON 8 WEEKS OF NICOTINE FREEDOM- Yahoooooo and GOOD JOB! Cravings come and go and it varies for ME - from differents smells or songs or different areas that trigger memories of using cigs to cope with deep pain inside MYSELF - example -  the song is a memory of when I fell in love years ago connected to an ugly break up - I hear the same song in MY NEW RECOVERY non smoker life style and I get ALL the emotions attached to the memory from MY past- these emotions come back full force that I smoked over back in MY past - and I get the craving to do as I did back in the day - to use MY drug of choice NICOTINE to make that emotional pain go away - I STOP and breathe - I remind MYSELF I don't smoke TODAY- I am recovering today so I STOP and take 3 deep breathes - say out loud - I am a non smoker - these feelings will pass - it takes 2 minutes for MY craving to pass - in the beginning the cravings came constantly  because i smoke for 38 YEARS - I was taught to educate MYSELF on MY nicotine addiction - ONLY ME -  I read the blogs 100 things to do in MY non smoker life style - pick and choose what works for YOU - it takes time to learn a NEW mind SET - I continue to learn grow and heal  - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be helpful is MY ONLY aim- thank you- gentle hug.

Apilling09

Wow thank you for the advice and best of luck on your journey to freedom

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

First, how wonderful for you to have gotten this far. Eight weeks is a huge deal. The first 10 days were the worst for me, and as the days and weeks piled on, each one was better than the one before it.

It's different for everyone, as you've probably figured out by now. The drug is out of your system by now, but the behavioral addiction is strong with smoking! You should be at the point soon where everything eases up a bit and it's on your mind less and less. Keep drinking water and walking when you can, sleep when you can, though you mentioned insomnia. If it's getting better too, that's a big deal as being rested helps me (and probably you) make good decisions.

It sounds to me that you're feeling a lot of the frustration I was feeling at about 70-80 days. And I bet the feeling changes are right around the corner.

Donna

Day 159

Apilling09

Thank you Donna, everyone’s feedback means so much.

0 Kudos
Andstillirise

I’m at 6 weeks and still don’t feel like myself . We smoked longer than we quick so it’s gonna take some time to get back to normal . 

Also still have anxiety but EXERCISE has been my savior . 

Hang in there ! You got this ! 

Congrats on 8 weeks !!!