cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NicMensinga

Patches...

Hey guys. Who has successfully quit with patches? I find it's great to use them for the physical addiction.. Just never got to the point of weaning off.. Thanks

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You need to start with the dosage equal to the number of cigarettes you generally smoke.  Each cigarette is roughly 1 mg of nicotine, so if you smoke about a pack a day, you would start with the 21 mg patch.  Then, after a month or so, you would go down to the next level (14?) and in a month or so after that down to the next level - maybe 7 mg?  I didn't use patches, so I am not familiar with the dosage.  That way - your final withdrawal should be from the smaller dose and should not be as difficult - and by then you will have learned to change up your routines and the associations/triggers will be reduced.

On your previous attempt did you not wean down - did you just stop?  Others here have been successful,I know, doing that, too.

Nancy

NicMensinga

Thanks Nancy. I am starting on step 2 as I smoke 12-15 a day. They take the edge off and let me deal with the psychological aspect first.. I think I would just start smoking again and never got to weaning down.. My 3 year quit was after hypnosis.. Tried it last year but didn't seem to have the same effect. I will stick to the patches for now! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

i'm also using the patch, plus lozenges.  I started at 14’s and did that for 2 months.  I dropped to 7’s in February and am still there.  The packaging has the guidelines, but my doc said everyone is different and I’m having such a hard time mentally with it to not add more stress.  For now nicotine is not the enemy.  I have other conditions the quit messed up so need to tackle those before I add another physical battle.  

This would be tough if my life had been calm calm and I could focus solely on that.  But it’s not.  All my docs are still very positive that at least I am not inhaling smoke and all those additives anymore.    

I know several people thst have been on relacements for years.   They have no intention of stopping.  They’ve just incorporated them into thier lives.  The important thing is they have their docs OK to do this.  It’s such a personal and unique journey for everyone.  

If your goal goal is to wean off, it is up to you when you decide to do it.  You probably felt the adjustment if you’ve stepped down once.  As every here has told me and others, you have to be prepared mentally to live without the nicotine in any form.  It’s excellent advice.  Just remember, this is totally on your timeline.  There really are no rights or wrongs  except lighting a cigarette and you have that covered.  Strictly my opinion.

NicMensinga

Thank you!! Yes we are all on our own paths and it's up to us how long we take to get there..

0 Kudos
Alicatsam

I'm on day 13 with patches worn most days. Also the gum for the really bad craves, I think I've used 5, didn't chew most of them very long.

I think having the Ex site is the most helpful aid, but I definitely need the NRTs for now. I use the lowest prescription I feel I will need, and after the shakes the first morning after, I take the patch off before bed.

NicMensinga

Glad they are working for you too. I think it's great we can focus on the mental side for a while and not be hit with intense cravings.. Good luck with your quit. Patch on today!! Woo hoo

Gwenivere

I thought I was the only one that had the shakes in the morning.  I also wake up very hot.  I take them off at bedtime.  It’s a slow climb to feeling functional from cigs.  That’s when I use the lozenges most.  Then after other triggers like dinner and having some wine.  That is where I have to work on the habit of it despite the different delivery, @Alcatsam.

Barbara145

It is your quit. Not smoking is the objective and you have done that.  Congrats on quitting smoking.

NicMensinga

Thank you!!

0 Kudos