cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NicMensinga

Bump in the road...

Hi everyone.. So I fell off the wagon a week or so ago. I did 5 days and then slipped up when my 20yr old son came home with smokes. I find it very hard to resist them when they are in the house. I am going to try again this week.. Is there any way I can amend my quit day etc?

Anyone else struggling? I am dealing with grief, court cases and anxiety/depression. Hard to motivate myself sometimes but I know how good I feel once I stop. I will do this!!!

30 Replies

When I began my recovery I couldn't even walk into a gas station. I would recommend setting boundaries around your environment such as telling your son that no smokes around you right now is important to your success. Setting ourselves up for success helps make the road to recovery smoother.

sweetplt

I am proud of you for quitting for 5 days...you smoked because your 20 year old son brought cigarettes home...Ask and tell your family you are trying to quit smoking and would like them to smoke outside and not bring any cigarettes in the house or around you...? You are the mom...they should be happy to help you out...Did you do the reading suggested in your last post...also, you need to keep close to the site...encourage others along this journey...and get help when you feel week...the biggest thing in the beginning you need to make your quit your number one priority...Hope this helps you out...now get back in the quit...we are here for you...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 166 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

I agree with those above me.  Your son should support your efforts by smoking outside, and keeping his cigarettes, lighter and ashtray out of your sight.

That being said,  make a plan now for what you can do the next time you have a rough patch.  You can come here and blog "HELP!" and wait for someone to talk you off the ledge, or go for a walk, or march in place, or count the red/blue/white things in the room, or count backwards from 1,000, or think of girls'/boys' names for each letter of the alphabet.......

You need to make up your mind that you are not going to smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  To be successful, that is essential!

Now - get back at it!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

YoungAtHeart wrote:

I agree with those above me.  Your son should support your efforts by smoking outside, and keeping his cigarettes, lighter and ashtray out of your sight.

Agree!

NicMensinga‌ Your son could quit as well too  Would love to see a parent child duo quitting together! Is he pictured with you in your profile?

Mark

EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
NicMensinga

My son is quitting with me everyone!! He may have 1 every now and then when drinking with his mates but he said he won't buy any or bring them back here. So happy with this

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

NicMensinga wrote:

My son is quitting with me everyone!! 

That's great news!

NicMensinga wrote:

He may have 1 every now and then when drinking with his mates but he said he won't buy any or bring them back here. So happy with this

Please come and have him read here.  If he is really quitting then he needs to know about not having one puff as there isn't such a thing as having only one.  There is plenty of evidence of this scattered throughout the site.  I'm sure there are many people who will point you to others or even their own experience.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
YoungAtHeart

It is a known fact that there usually isn't "just one" to an addict.  There ARE exceptions, of course - but they are few and far between.  There is also vast evidence that drinking alcohol is the sworn enemy of a person quitting smoking. It affects your judgment - plain and simple and makes "just one" sound like a reasonable thing to do.

For your son's benefit, NicMensinga .  Although  - a young person may not be willing to give up alcohol even if it's a temporary measure to help with the quitting......

NicMensinga

Very true.. Just one has made me come unstuck EVERY single time.. Might take a few months, but I always end up smoking again. My son did something amazing yesterday.. his girlfriend broke up with him & his usual reaction would be to buy a bottle of wine and smokes. Instead he went and climbed a mountain!! about a 9km hike! I am so proud of him for responding to his sadness this way and not reacting in the usual way. Wow what an inspiration!!

NicMensinga

OK I will see if he would like to have a read. Thanks Mark