cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Apilling09

Has anyone used magnesium while quitting?

have seen some people post that using magnesium can be helpful while quitting. Wondering about anyone’s experience with this? Thanks!

12 Replies
TW517

I'm curious about why you asked this question, and interested to see what other replies you get.

At my last physical, my doctor asked me if I was still quit.  I said yes, it had been about a year and a half.  Then, out of the blue, she asked me if I ever get leg or feet muscle cramps (like charlie horses).  I said yes, that I had noticed getting them fairly often (2-3 times a month) in the last year.  She recommended I take 250mg per day of magnesium, and sure enough, I rarely get them now.  I have no idea how/why that works, or if the cramps had anything to do with not smoking anymore.

So, for me, it wasn't and aid to quit smoking, but still curious what you and others have heard or experienced.

Barbara145

Magnesium relaxes.  Most of us are deficient in the nutrient because our soils are depleted.  I have been taking it for years (before and after I quit.)  I prefer Magnesium/Calcium supplement.  I take one at bedtime with an ounce of Noni Juice.  I believe it helps me relax and sleep well.

anaussiemom

Lots of foods to get your magnesium, B12s, Potassium is also good to ward off cramps.  

8 Foods High in Magnesium | Everyday Health 

sweetplt

Thank you Kim for this list...I just found I get a lot of magnesium through my diet...suppose to help migraines...but not so sure about this with me...LOL...

0 Kudos

My Doctor recommended that I take magnesium to relieve my anxiety and depression. There is a definite lack of dopamine when recovering from Nicotine Addiction which magnesium may be able to relieve. May I suggest that all supplements be discussed with your care provider? It's very important that your Doctor know which supplements you add to the mix of medications you are taking.

anaussiemom

The very best way to get what you need, if at all possible is eating it.  Apilling09 

Best wishes
Hugs
Kim

mrios5776

I had severe leg cramps before/during and after my quit. I started taking potassium along with a multi vitamin in the mornings and the leg cramps have all but vanished. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

mrios5776 wrote:

I had severe leg cramps before/during and after my quit. I started taking potassium along with a multi vitamin in the mornings and the leg cramps have all but vanished. 

"all but" meaning nearly or all except?

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
mrios5776

All but EXcept for every once in a while I get one.

0 Kudos