cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Chrsilve

Triggers

My last cigarette was 9 days ago. I'm using a nicotine patch but I still find myself having cravings for a cigarette. Its mostly bad When I first wake up and then at night. So far I have managed to fight the cravings but it seems sometimes to be getting harder. I just keep telling myself I'm not going to go backwards and that I can do this. Does it ever get easier?

4 Replies
green1611

The cravings are horrible. But goes away slowly as the days pass by. Be confident that you can quit smoking. It will work for you.

I did not use nicotine patch when i quit, so I can not comment on that. I just stopped smoking...NOPE.

0 Kudos
TW517

I've quit using the patch and cold turkey.  My experience was that although the cravings were less intense with the patch vs cold turkey, they don't go away for months (or at least for the 10 week regimen plus a few days after).  And craves were pretty intense with each step down.  With any kind of NRT, I was still dosing myself with nicotine, and my addiction was going to keep craving it.

I've read about others here who barely had any craves at all with and without NRTs.  So I guess there is no guarantee date of when it gets easier, other than it finally does, and it is sooo worth it!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

You are right to accept that you are not going to turn around and go backwards. These kinds of thoughts are the work of smobriety. Keep it coming. You are doing the footwork and you will find it easier and easier. Congrats on 9.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

It does get easier, or it did for me...but you are early in the quit and NICO wants you back...the addict in you is wavering...you need to have plans in place...what you will do instead of smoke in the morning, perhaps take a walk, do jumping jacks, go pray, watch a program, etc., get new routine/habit...in the evenings...same thing, take a walk, join a gym, do a puzzle, etc., new routine/habit...hang in there, it gets better...think more about what you are gaining ... then what you are losing...Congrats on 9 days of quitting...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 161 DOF 

~here are some things you can do instead of smoking...~

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking