cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Have I mentioned....

......I still hate the smell of cigarette smoke?

Will this last?

Donna

Day 146

9 Replies
Barbscloud

Like many on here, I like still like the smell of a burning cigarette.  Not the smell on someone.

indingrl

Thanks for asking Donna and for ME -  I thought I loved the smell when I first STOP using MY DRUG NICOTINE- then as TIME passed - I hated the smell - and now when MY daughter smokes while she is driving- to ME it still stinks - just sharing MY experience- gentle hug.

YoungAtHeart

Just as everybody is different, so is everyone's like or dislike of cigarette smoke.  I HATE it in a room, or on a person or in a car, but love the smell wafting on an outside breeze....for a moment or two.  If I am somewhere and someone is smoking upwind from me, I don't want to stay in that vicinity for long.

For those with COPD, it can be breathtaking - and not in a good way!

All depends......

AnnetteMM

With me it changes all the time. I hate the smell of old smoke on people, but can tolerate new smoke.

Does that make sense?

DonnaMarie

It does make sense. I can't stand it on people nor can I stand to smell a cigarette being lit or smoked.

0 Kudos
elvan

I hate it but I am one of those people with COPD and it IS breathtaking, I try not to glare at smokers, I remember when I was one but DAMN, do they HAVE to stand RIGHT by the door where I HAVE to walk?  No, they don't and I DIDN'T.

Just out of curiosity, do you want to stop hating it?

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

It's not so much as I'd like to stop hating it. I would like to stop noticing it as much because it's so unpleasant. I may be over compensating somehow by having such a powerful reaction and maybe over time it will ease up?

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I'm afraid you may not ever not notice it.  It is an invasive smell - and hard to avoid...especially now that the smokers are loitering in all the doorways we have to pass through.  Have you tried holding your breath or using mouth breathing to get past it? 

I am praying for the day that EVERYONE quits - now wouldn't that be something?!!!

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Holding my breath is something I do very well now