cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Ticking time bomb

Several years ago, I had a situation where I spent time in the ER due to chest pain, which turned out to be acid (kinda like now). I did a follow up with a cardiologist a few days later, which included an exercise stress test. He asked me if I smoked and I embarrassingly said yes. He gave me a look and said, "You do realize you're a ticking time bomb, right?"

I thought about that today and how I like being less of a ticking time bomb.

Here's to not ticking!

timebomb.jpeg

Donna

Day 146

10 Replies
minihorses

Sometimes there isn't even the ticking part, more like a landmine sometimes.  Watch your feet even if the 'clock' is still wound up and running.

YoungAtHeart

I ate a healthy diet and exercised EVERY day, kept to a Size 8  - so I actually had myself convinced that I was protected from smoking effects by that......until a vascular surgeon I consulted for a varicose vein discovered I had blockages in the arteries going to both legs.  He said,, "I can make your arteries 50 years old again with this bypass, but I can tell you that if you continue to smoke, you will develop blockages again, and you  probably won't be healthy enough for me to fix you."  Left unsaid was the possibility I would lose a leg in that eventuality.

Within a week, I found a doctor who specialized in smoking cessation.  He prescribed Chantix and said to me, "there are more people in the U.S. who have quit smoking than are still smoking.  Do you think they are ALL better than you?"  I took that as a challenge, I think.

I find it interesting that I was able to quit - first attempt ever - when it became real TO ME!

I hope it stays real to all here - and to all those who are newly quit.

Nancy

Barbscloud

Trust me, I happy I quit smoking.   I had a stress test  a week ago.  If you even mention a pain, it becomes a pain.  My last was  2015 and there was no difference.  Walked a few seconds less, but that was more because of my legs not chest pain, etc.   

Giulia

Here's to the right ticker ticking!  

Strudel

No ticking for sure! Congrats on your wonderful quit!

MarilynH

You are rocking your precious quit journey YAY for a much healthier lifestyle with no ticking time bomb, huge hug......

green1611

congratulations on quit. Nicely put the impact of quit ! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 146 days and continuing your journey smoke free. Kudos

elvan

Congratulations on your quit...good for you!  I had my first stress test a few years ago and it had to be done by giving me medication to mimic my heart racing because I couldn't walk...I clutched my chest and thought they were crazy, I could not BREATHE.  They reversed the effects and I could breathe better than I had in years. Of course, that did not last, it was back to reality in a short time.  

You have turned that ticking time bomb OFF, you have DEFUSED it.  CONGRATULATIONS.

Hugs,

Ellen

0 Kudos