Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sister5

Why are the cravings worse when I get to the third day

I can make it to the third day then I fail

21 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Perhaps the excitement and newness of the quit keeps you going, and when the bloom is off the rose, it gets more difficult?  If you aren't using a quit aid, the nicotine should be pretty much out of your system after the third day - perhaps the amount in your system is getting less and that's a trigger?  Figure out your thought pattern when you make that decision to smoke, and make a plan ahead of time to get busy/change up that thinking.  Are you keeping cigarettes around "just in case?"  If so - that is just giving yourself permission to fail.  Get rid of them before your next quit.  Soak them under running water, schmish them up and put them in the trash! 

You CAN do this - most people here had many fails before their final quit.  Get back at it NOW!

Nancy

Alicatsam

I'm on my 3rd full day and so far so good. After my last cigarette on 5/7 at 11am, I went straight home and looked for support online. I found this site, and when the urge hits, I am on this site of texting SOS which is a great feature of this site for a quick fix on the go. Something to do with my hands.

My only family is my dog and he is the reason I quit, and I don't have a lot of friends, maybe just one who is a nonsmoker. She has been a great support in all areas of my life recently.

I pay attention to my triggers. Found my strongest trigger so far to be celebration of good news. Coffee is not a trigger for me, which came as a surprise.

I am on the patch and have used the gum maybe 3 times in 3 days in oral-fixation emergencies when I have no food or water handy. I only chew a minute or two until the urge passes.

For me, just paying attention to when and why I smoke and changing my behavior has been the main key, along with this site.

I keep my main motivation with me at all times. My dog is my family and when he's not around, I scroll through the gazillion pics I have of him. Something else to do with idle hands.

Those are some of the things that help me.

Good luck to you!

Sister5

Thanks someone who is new helps

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 1:23 PM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

Barbscloud

That's what's so great about this site.  They''re are elders, new quitters and quitters somewhere in between.   There is something for everyone depending on what you need at the time.   I hope you found the support you need to make it through day 3.  Reach out when you need help;  when you need it!  

Barb

Sister5

Hi and thanks, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, I need to

exercise my faith and trust in God

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 2:37 PM Barbscloud <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

Sister5

Thanks for the support and encouragement

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 1:22 PM Alicatsam <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Self Talk helps.  Tell yourself that you can make it. Say, "I don't do that anymore.   Look forward to day 4, then 5 then 6.  on and on.  One day at a time.  No matter what you are not going to smoke no matter what day you are on.  One day at a time.  You can do this. 

sweetplt

You know it ... now plan for it...make sure Day 3 doesn’t win ... but you do ... plan something that day that keeps you so busy ... you can’t smoke ~ ie., come here all day and write or help others ... ~ you can do this ~ Colleen 158 DOF 

elvan

Come here FIRST....blog with the word HELP in the subject line and give us a chance to talk you down.  You CAN make it past the third day and the fourth and on and on.  Read everything you can about nicotine addiction and don't allow yourself to get sucked back into the abyss.

Ellen