cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Andstillirise

Still dealing with constipation . How long did yours last ?

Day 26 and I’m still struggling with going to the bathroom . In fact , since I’ve quit I haven’t been able to go without a laxative . 

I went to my dr but she didn’t offer much help as i eat healthy , exercise , drink lots of water and have intake fiber . 

She said it’s safe for me to use the laxatives a few times a week until my body adjusts . 

Did anyone else have this issue ? Since it’s been almost a month , I thought my bowels would return to normal . They aren’t at all 

still gonna be positive and not let this minor annoyance mess up my good vibe. 

Tags (1)
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I did have that probIem.  I added some Benefiber to my diet, and put a couple of dried prunes in boiling water and let them cool (not as sickening sweet as stewed or prune juice) each day.  You might also look for a stool softener. 

Nicotine aided the digestive process, and it sometimes can take a couple of months to adjust. 

Sorry it's affecting you.  It WILL end - I promise!!!

Barbscloud

I didn't have this specific issue quitting, but for since I've had  GI problems my whole life it's hard to say what causes what???     Hope this resolves for you soon.

Barb

0 Kudos
TW517

Yep.  Along with gas and bloating.  Not to discourage you, but mine took about 6 months to finally settle down.  Partially my fault for constantly trying new things to try and deal with it.  In retrospect, it was a minor inconvenience compared to the benefits of being quit.  Of course, when people told me that while I was experiencing it, I wanted to punch them .

sweetplt

I had this problem for just a week...I have IBS with constipation so I take Miralax daily and that keeps me regular.  Like you, I eat healthy, exercise and drink water like crazy...so nothing worked ...but Miralax...hope you find what will work for you...~ Colleen 157 DOF

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I had to add probiotics to my daily meds. AND I had to eliminate all sparkly beverages. They bloated me terribly.

sweetplt

Annette reminded me...I take daily probiotics too...

0 Kudos
elvan

I added magnesium as a supplement, it helped.  I really didn't have it for very long.  You might try Activia Yogurt...I actually LOVE that.  I don't eat it for the laxative effect, I eat it because I LIKE it. 

It will get better...keep doing what you are doing and eating right, exercising, and staying hydrated.  Good season coming up where there will be all kinds of fresh produce.

Ellen

Andstillirise

Thank you everyone ! 

So I bought some Activia , Magnesium and Probiotics . Hoping one of them or the combination works . 

I love dried prunes and ate a ton of them . Didn’t do a thing for me . Neither did stool softeners or adding more fiber . 

I am a vegetarian and have a large organic veggie garden on property so it’s not lack of veggies. I exercise 7 days a week and stay hydrated so I think it’s just the quit . 

Being constipated is a small price to pay for being healthier and smoke free . 

Thanks again for all the suggestions ! 

elvan

GOOD FOR YOU!