cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Alicatsam

Quit day today. Eek!

Just quit today. Last cigarette 11am. Was smoking about one every hour. Super anxious. I feel more awake than usual, kinda jacked up. Not the kind of energy that leads to getting chores done.

I quit for my dog. Ironically, he is in daycare because I had a job interview, and I don't want to pull him out early from his favorite place. So I have no focus to get me through.

Happy to have found this site.

I have a lifetime of depression and anxiety issues. Had some good counseling and meds. Got puupy, dropped meds. Puppy is far more effective.

I miss my dog very much today. Normally, I'm happy if I know he's happy. Which is why I'm letting him have his nearly weekly visit with his favorite sitter and her dogs.

I'm also concerned about being able to sleep tonight and wondering how bitchy I'm going to be at work tomorrow.

15 Replies
indingrl

Welcome and way to go CONGRATS ON NON SMOKER LIVING - YahoooooOOOOO

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...

Congratulations on Day 1 is Day Won...If you haven’t already Alicatsam I recommend, you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... here you will gain more knowledge at quitting and to prepare for this craves/triggers.  Also, read blogs to help you out...Knowledge is Power.  We are all in this journey together...Keep close to the support site...Hang in there and it does get better.  ~ Colleen 156 DOF

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello! Dogs are great companions and stress relievers aren't they? I could not imagine our home without a dog and hope we never get too old to have one in our family. Quitting is a process......don't worry.....PLAN. You probably will be a little bitchy---so what? Everyone will live. You may have some craves....decide what you plan to do to get through them without giving in. You are feeing more awake which is great! Many people feel sleepy and foggy at the beginning of a quit.

You are on the best support site for quitting smoking. Hang out here as much as you can.....read, comment, blog. WELCOME to EX!!!!!! We are all here for each other.

Barbara145

Welcome.  Glad you found us.  I tried to quit many times before I found this site.  I quit 5 1/2 years ago.  Stay close.  We are here for you.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.

marciem

Quite some time ago a dear friend from another Quit Smoking board posted this.  I believe he did the editing.  I'm posting this to respond to your question "How bitchy will I get?"

Footprints... Quit Smoking Edition

By JWG, The Invisible Man from Quit Smoking Message Board.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

One night a woman had a dream that she had died
And gone to heaven. In her dream
she walked along the shore
With the Lord

At on point she noticed that
There were only one set of footprints in the sand

She smiled and said to the Lord
I see like in the poem that I read when I was just a girl
When my life was tuff and too much for me to
Bear you carried me ,my dear Lord

The Lord replied to her
Dear child
Where you only see one set of foot prints
Is when you quit smoking
And were such a bitch.. I had to go for a swim

No disrespect intended, it is mean to bring a smile.  

Just remember, all bad things associated with quitting smoking are TEMPORARY, the benefits are Permanent and ever-expanding. So you won't be bitchy forever... unless of course you were born that way  

marciem

...and CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful decision to take back your life and live it smoke-free.  It is the most momentous decision you could make, and the best gift you will ever give yourself... and your fur-baby too!

Giulia

Sites been down for many hours.  Hope your quit day was a success.  If not - don't give up.  Perseverance breeds success!

Barbscloud

Congrats on your decision.  Hope all is going well.  Lots of pet lovers here, so we appreciate the companionship of pets as well.  

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Try not to worry about what might happen; it will or it won't - but worrying won't change the outcome at all.  Try to develop a mindset that you will deal with each thing as it appears - and then just get through it.  For work, you might make a name tag that says, "Thanks for your patience with me while I quit smoking."   A member in years past made one like it and got lots of "attagirls" from it, too.  I didn't use the patch, but wonder if putting a bit of paper surgical tape over it might help?  Or a Bandaid?  You might take if off before bed tonight - some here have reported nasty dreams from it.  Then - put a fresh one on in the morning...giving it a bit of time to build up in your system.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy