cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

janine7

How do I get started?

Hi everyone!  My name is Janine.  I plan to quit smoking first thing in the morning and have no idea how to get started (I've been smoking since I woke up so today is definately out of the question).  I'm 38 years old and have been smoking since I'm 14.  Like alot of other people's comments, I love to smoke but I HATE it at the same time.  I feel like I can't do anything without smoking before, during, and after.  Now that I think about it, I always seem to have a lit cigarette in my hand!  What I'm dreading the most is drinking my first cup of coffee without a cigarette.  My boyfriend smokes and I don't know how I'm going to be able to block him out while I'm doing this.  Any ideas???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mimi57

I know what you mean about that first cup of coffee and a cig in the morning.  I have not quit yet but I have set a date.  I am 57 and have smoked since I was 16.  My husband and I smoked in the house for a long time.  My youngest had asthma so we started only smoking outside.  He quit 6 years ago, cold turkey.......I still smoke, but only outside.....that seems to help. So If you want to quit and your boyfriend does not, sugest he goes outside.  You house will smell better and maybe it will help you.  Hang in there, all you can do is try.

brenda46

I have been smoking for 43 years and had a malignant tumor on my bladder removed a few months ago.  Yes, cigarettes caused my cancer and I am quitting for good on January 29th.  I have just realized that if one smokes, it's when will he/she get sick, not "if."  So please take heed and wish me well.

Brenda

0 Kudos
lynn50

HI, my name is Lynn and I have been smoking for over 40 years. I'm 63 now. My quit date is March 15th, and I have to quit , since I have COPD. It is so hard that there are times now, since I've tried to do this before, that I feel like I can't. Still, I want to. What a mess, huh?

lynn50

Any help I can get will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
nlb81668

Hi. My name is Nancy. I just joined this Ex thing today. I am 41 and have been smoking since I was about 15. I really want to quit, but I am afraid of not succeeding. I have learned all about this program here, knowing that I must start tracking my cigs. I set a quit date of May 1. Because I have already gone all morning smoking, I will start tracking tomorrow. Hopefully with the support on this site I can and will succeed!

0 Kudos