cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tbasner

Patch or No Patch after 5 DOF

Today is my day 5, doing extremely well considering that at some point today I lost my nrt patch. My cravings became stronger in the afternoon but not so serious so I have never replace it. I have also only using the patch during the day Now I have the dilemma if I should continue on with the patch tomorrow or just continue without. I decided to only use the patch considering in my previous attempt of quitting . This time I felt more confident in succeeding because I have found this site and the support of the community.  I used NRTs in my earlier attempts (lozenges, and vaping)  I was in control ultimately when out of hand and started smoking again I think the longest I went was 3 months. That's why I thought the patch is more efficient for me I am not in control but I am choosing not to smoke. 

Anyway, I just want to quit for good this time but I am scared. So I don't know what works better, sticking with the patch as suggested or go cold turkey starting now?

18 Replies
sweetplt

HI I didn’t use NRT’s so I can’t answer about the patch or not...however, I can congratulate you on a great 5 days free from smoking.  Happy Monday ~ Colleen 154 DOF 

0 Kudos

I actually forgot to use the patch on my 4th day but I was only 10 minutes from home so I didn't panic and got through the day. I felt like I needed it the next day so I put one on. My second week, I forgot two days in a row so I put one in my wallet with the promise I would put it on rather than smoke. NEVER NEEDED IT but knowing it was there was a backup.

I'd say, keep one with you today and if you feel you need it it's there. It takes 30-45 minutes to get into your bloodstream.

Just don't dwell on it. You'll be fine either way.

PS Most people give up in the first 4 months. (no mans land-the three months after the first month)

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

YoungAtHeart

I would follow Dale's advice (above).  Keep one with you and promise yourself you will put it on and get busy doing something rather than smoke if it gets to that.  Your mind is your most powerful tool in this fight.  If you think you can or think you can't - you are right (Henry Ford).

The nicotine is mostly out of your system in three days - that's the physical part of the addiction. Next is you body adjusting to life without the drugs - which takes up to a month or two.    Then it's the psychological triggers and associations built up over the time you smoked you need to get past.

Let us know what you decide and how it's going!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Absolutely, follow JonesCarpeDiem‌'s advice on this.  You can always slap on a patch if you feel like you are losing it.  I had been quit for over a week when someone suggested that I use the patch, I asked why would I want to reintroduce nicotine into my system.  When I saw your blog title, I thought you were asking the same question.  

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

0 Kudos
NicMensinga

I am on the step 2 patches myself. I find breaking the psychological part not as hard but the physical cravings are tough for me. If you need them for now, keep using them. They are a hell of a lot better than all the chemicals we get from a smoke!! Congrats on 5 days! I am on day 3 today...

anaussiemom

I would do what is the best for you.  I personally would not risk my quit.  For myself I would wear one or have one with me, close by.

Many blessings 5 days congrats.

Kim

maryfreecig

If you chose to quit the patches, prepare to face your previous falling off points, which if I understand you right happen as life's stresses get in the way. But life's ups and downs will always be happening and so quitting for real happens when you prepare to stay smober no matter what. Not easy, but doable.  Learning to live smoke free is just that--and it happens one day at a time. 

Congratulations on your five days. Keep the smobriety coming.

Tbasner

Update 

Thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback.  I decided to just bring the patch with me i have it i know i have it but i haven't used it yet. Today is day 7 and i am doing really well  no slips. And i am so so proud of me. So probably by tomorrow the nicotine will be out of my system. The first time in 30 years. Thank you everyone.  For your generous support. 

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!

0 Kudos