NicMensinga

Take 20...

Discussion created by NicMensinga on May 5, 2019
Latest reply on May 12, 2019 by DonnaMarie

Hi everyone.. Just wanted to share my smoking story. I started 25 odd years ago at the age of 16. Both my parents smoked. In the house, car etc so it was just part of life I thought. I first wanted to quit when I was about 28. It was hard when I was in my 20's as I drank alcohol/partied quite regularly and it just came with the territory. I think my first stint of quitting was at the age of about 32. That lasted for 2 or so years.. Every time I had major stress or trauma, I would start again. Or too many drinks & I would suddenly be having 'just one'. Soon I was back on the smokes daily. 

I have lost count of how many times I have tried to quit. Cold turkey, patches, hypnosis...

I recently lost the love of my life in a tragic motorbike accident. He was only 39.. It was also I crime as a driver had run him down. Before the accident I was only smoking here and there with a drink as my partner was good at the social smoking thing. He would just hide them when we had finished a few drinks. After he passed, I started up again daily. It's been 8 months now & I have had a week or two here and there where I have worn a nicotine patch and not smoked. I desperately want to stop as it's only making me feel more anxious and depressed. I am constantly told by friends, therapists etc to keep smoking but I am so over it controlling me yet again.

So I had my last smoke this morning and have put a patch on again. Feeling much better already and have had more energy today!!

Has anyone here quit whilst going through major trauma? I figure there's always going to be stress in our lives and if I can do it now, I can do it anytime. 

Thanks for listening

Outcomes