cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anaussiemom

I cannot breath

I like smoking!  That is the horrid part of this quit. 

I like it.   

Please I am not here to be battered or verbally abused.

Advice so welcome.

Namaste

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Barb102

I sometimes get the memory miss - that’s what I call it. Is it really the actual smoking of the cigarette or the memory of what we were doing?  For me it’s still the memory of “relaxation”. Whether with a cup of coffee, iced tea a glass of wine. It is never standing outside a restaurant getting ugly stares. It is never freezing outside or not smelling fresh. I’m grateful that I am now at the part of my quit where I can do the peaceful things without the cigarette.  I really believe that you will get there too. Don’t replace everything you enjoy. That makes things miserable. Only eliminate the cigarette.  I hope this helps you. You know I’m always here to support you

anaussiemom

Thank you so much Barb!! ❤️

anaussiemom

Thank you everyone. 

Namste

sweetplt

((((Kim))))) Actually, believe it or not? You remind me of myself when I was 38 years old and first time I quit smoking...all I did was miss smoking and cry and blamed everything on quitting...now I am not saying this is you...just that I hated the quit...shortly after my quit...I got a diagnosis of high blood pressure ( that only lasted a few years ) that I could still watch without meds and asthma...I quit for a few years, but not really, I snuck one here or there ... claiming to myself hey I am not really smoking...right...eventually I went back to it...quit a 2nd time and even after brain aneurysm surgery started back...I just never saw what I was doing to myself...and something clicked this time...I could feel the effects of smoking the last couple of years and I was only smoking about twice a week...I didn’t really enjoy it...that being said, that was me...I am done with smoking...I wish I had the magic potion and/or words to help you...I am not very articulate like many of the writers and/or I don’t know how you need to have it click...maybe it will never click...all I know is eventually smoking will make you sick...and you will quit one way or another...in Heaven there is no smokes...I want this for you Kim, but a part of me understands what you are saying because I was there once...sitting to read my bible and sending my prayers out to you...cyber hugs...Colleen ~ 150 DOF 

elvan

I lost quits in the past because I tried to give up everything at once.  I dieted, I would not go outside and sit because it was too big a trigger, or so I thought.  This quit was entirely different, first of all, I don't think I ever really liked smoking, I disliked the smell and the feeling of sneaking around, it made me feel dishonest.  I concentrated on the things I did not like and I realized how much I LOVE breathing.  I hate being short of breath.

Think about the things you DON'T like about smoking, Kim, think about them and concentrate on them.  Do not allow yourself to sit and smoke...EVER, make yourself uncomfortable, that was something I did in advance of quitting.  I didn't do it consciously...but I realized it after I quit.  I so disliked the looks I would get from people when I tried to find a place to smoke.  Honestly, I am seriously grateful every day for being smoke free...

You can be too,

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

mrios5776

No one here judging you, we have all gone through this. Heck I still get strong urges. Do what you have done in the past to get through this. My heart and prayers are with you. YOU GOT THIS!

Barbscloud

I guess it is a memory miss as Barb said, because there are times I still think a cigarette would be great.   I mentioned it in another post recently, that it's been on my mind more lately.  I think it's the change of seasons.  I miss sitting outside and smoking and really just doing nothing.    I honestly didn't feel bad about myself that I was a smoker, how much money I spent, having to go off on my own, didn't feel like I was sneaking, etc.  I was always very respectful of non-smokers, discarding my cigarette butts, etc.   My only motivation for quitting was health reasons.   Hopefully, not getting all the illnesses that I don't have yet (as far as I know).   I see a difference between doing something because we want to do it and because we should do it.   Maybe the key to this and why I've made it this time, is someway melding the want and should.  I want to because I should for my health.   Does that make any sense?  Some folks seem to find it easier to focus on how wonderful it is to be a non-smoker, how they feel better , etc.  I don't feel very different physically.   I think that's why the Ex has been beneficial for me.  It reminds me everyday of the reasons why I I want/ should do this for myself.  It's been a struggle and still is a times, but I am so proud that I haven't smoke for more than a year.  Something I  never did before.  

That being  said, you did this before, so I know you can do it again.   Talk the talk of being a non-smoker and we'll be elders together.  I still say to myself, I don't do that anymore.  Now if I can fix everything else in my life.  LOL.

Barb 

anaussiemom

Barbscloud  Thank you bunches.