cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tigerm74

Juul... Broke me and my marriage.

So here I am.  Sitting in my apartment with the honest truth staring me in my face.  I used Juul to stop smoking.  And, I did actually completely stop smoking cigarettes.  But the agitation caused by smoking Juul too much and trying to "hide" from my husband to binge smoke the Juul was a major contributing factor to the end of my marriage.  Of course there were other problems.  I would never deny that we had problems.  But this thing really impacted my ability to think clearly.  I am so sad and sick right now over this stupid problem.  So, I quit yesterday.  I am away from all of the previous triggers.  I was vaping up to two cartridges a day, which is really boggling my mind - since when I was smoking actual cigarettes I was smoking less than a pack a day.  I can't believe that this is my reality right now.  Sad and broken...  But also determined to turn it around.  Anyone else with this issue or a similar story?  I could use the support.  Thanks for the listen. #juul

Tags (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I hurt for you in the loss of your marriage.  Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery mechanism.  The problem with the Juul is that you can use it anytime, almost anywhere.  It's "socially acceptable," and the addiction gets you before you even know it.  You are about the sixth person to come to us in the last month addicted to either the Juul or another vaping device.  I cringed when they came out, and I cringed HARDER  when I saw people using it to quit cigarettes.  While the jury is still out on whether it is safer, it makes addicts of its users if a plan is not in place to taper down from it.  To start, I recommend you read to understand nicotine addiction - and then you should try to gradually wean down the amount of nicotine you are getting over time.  Start with subbing a pod with a lower amount for every fourth pod, then every third, etc.  Eventually, if you follow the steps I will outline to get busy instead of automatically firing it up, you can reduce the frequency of use along with the amount of nicotine you are getting.  You need to change up your routines, just like with cigarette smoking, so the associations are reduced.  I have not made a vaping friendly welcome yet, so you should just sub the appropriate device as you read.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

IIt will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...

I am sorry about the split in your marriage...that is a tough and big life transition...but quitting smoking Juul’s can be done...together you will go through a lot of the same emotions, so maybe the struggle once will be better.  YoungAtHeart above me gave you a lot of great information...You really need to be knowledgeable and prepare for your quit.  Please keep close to the support site to get help.  WE are all in this journey together...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 150 DOF 

indingrl

Welcome and please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim- thank you and please I am ONLY talking about ME- I am sharing MY experience - for ME -  NICOTINE addiction is addiction- a drug nicotine adddict gets their NICOTINE in all forms - regardless -  if it is in - CHEW - DEATH STICKS CALLED CIGS - CIGARS - VAPING LIQUID FLAVORED NICOTINE -  JUUL CARTRIDGES - ROLL MY OWN DEATH STICKS CALLED CIGS- this is what was SUGGESTED to ME - to educate MYSELF about MY NICOTINE ADDICTION ONLY - reading ALL the information here and the blog's here and blog BEFORE I use MY DRUG NICOTINE and also watch the dvds teaching about NICOTINE EARLY death's from using DRUG NICOTINE - also to read FREE book at whyquit.com called- NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER - by Joel who has been HELPING NICOTINE ADDICTS for over 40 years- CONGRATS ON YOUR FREE WILL CHOICE TO BE A NON SMOKER- yahooooo - WAY TO GO! gentle hug.

elvan

Addiction is addiction and nicotine is an addictive substance, regardless of the method of delivery.  You need to do the reading, make a plan, stay close to the site, and begin your journey to freedom.  You do NOT have to spend your life in addiction.  I am so sorry about your marriage.  Smoking and I am sure vaping...stuff feelings and emotions down and when we quit, they surface like rockets.  You CAN do this.  Stay close to the site and understand that we are all in recovery.

Ellen

DonnaMarie

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the marriage situation. As for that Juul, I had one for 2 days, lost it, and never bought another one. I used it while I was still smoking and intended to use it to quit, but that didn't work out. I'm so glad you did get rid of yours. We simply aren't made for smoking, even vapor that's drug-filled.

Here's hoping that the days ahead are filled with joy and wonder. Thanks for coming here and telling you story. Looking forward to getting to know you a little better.

Donna

Day 136

AnnetteMM

I had the exact same plan. I found Juul when I was planning out my quit, and then I stocked up. I did use just one pod per day, but I can totally see how it could get out of hand easily. When I finally did quit Juul (it took 4 months and then I found EX) I had to throw away all the equipment, and then I experienced a lot of emotional distress for awhile. By "awhile" I guess I mean a couple of weeks or so.   I'm so sorry about your marriage. That's a terrible loss for you.  I'm glad you're here.

Sootie

You have come upon the BEST online support group. I am so sorry about the marriage. That is a very difficult and hurtful pain. I hope you have some support with that.

Welcome to EX. We are all here for each other.

altusadmin

Juul could have done the same damage to my marriage, but I ended up hiding it from my wife...for over one year. It was sneaky and horrible. I'm now on my 8th day of not using Juul, and a lot of credit goes to the support I've received from this page. 

I've eaten a lot of ice cream and other garbage food this past week, but I'll work on that after the one-month mark of being Juul free. This isn't my first time trying to quit, but it will be my last. 

Good luck to you and DM me if you need any support with your quit.

sweetplt

Keep up the good work...

0 Kudos