cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Izzytish47

Hi

I need to quit nrt lozenges. My biggest obstacle will be my anxiety disorder and bipolar depression. When I stopped smoking I was very specific not to say "quit" because quitting seems too daunting. I started using the lozenges and got hooked on those. I am finding that they seem to be dissolving my teeth. I guess I need some help with the process. From start to finish. Especially when it comes to controlling anxiety and depression that I already suffer with. If that's part of the withdrawal for normal people I feel defeated already.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...I am glad you found us...and glad you quit smoking...I donot know anything about quit aids...however, I think because of all your physical issues and fear of getting off Nrt’s...you should consult your Doctors on what will work for you.  Many of us suffer from anxiety, and have been able to quit smoking...so I hope you will be able to quit the Nrt...~ gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 146 DOF 

Giulia

Now now now, don't start off on this journey with negative thoughts!  There are MANY here who suffer from bi-polar, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. and THEY have managed to stop smoking.  You can too!  

Sit back, take some breaths, take some more, and just settle in for one of the most life-affirming journeys you'll ever have.  I "get" that "quitting" sounds a lot like "giving up."  So what are you going to change that word to in your head that will make it better for you?  That's part of your homework.  We all have homework to do here.  How can you turn that negative into a positive for yourself?  

So am I right in thinking you've stopped smoking already and now just want to stop using the lozenges?  Or are you doing both?

Izzytish47

I stopped smoking April 19, 2016. I remember the date so specifically because it was the day it was diagnosed that I had been having strokes. I used the lozenges. They were great for stopping smoking, but now I'm finding it hard to give THEM up.

elvan

I did not use NRT's but certainly many people on this site did.  I agree that you might need to change the name if it seems overwhelming to you to say quit.  I actually did a Smoke Stoppers class that suggested using the word stop instead of quit.  What strength are the lozenges and how many a day are you taking?  I would think that your anxiety would be much higher with the nicotine.  I agree that you may want to talk to your doctor and see if he or she suggests adjusting medication dosages.  I think you probably need to do the same things as anyone actually stopping smoking (notice I did not say quitting).  It is a journey, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.  You can learn to live without nicotine, it is clearly not doing you any favors.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Izzytish47

I use the 2 mg lozenges. The tracking tool on here has been very helpful and I have cut down quite a bit already. A box of lozenges I would estimate has lasted a week. Since beginning the program I've been using them less often and been cutting them into smaller pieces. So it's less nicotine less often. The main reason for stopping is that they seem to be disolving my teeth. I don't so much have a problem with the effects of the nicotine.

Giulia

So in a week you will have been smoke free for a whole month.  How 'bout THAT!  And you've cut down on the lozenges.  Sounds like you're doing everything right to me.  Especially since you've been diagnosed with having strokes.  I can imagine how scary that must be.  Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so it's good that you're weaning off the lozenges. 

Have you ever tried meditating to control your anxiety?  There are quite a few good meditations on line that I've discovered.  Some are long and some are short.  Also, something I just read recommended choosing one thing that you've been putting off and doing it immediately.  Helps to take the pressure off.  

You keep hanging in.  And pat yourself on the back in the process.  You're doing well!

Beck37

Welcome.... The most important part of your quit is your attitude. If you go in already feeling defeated than you will be. I’m not going to lie or sugarcoat my quit, I did go thru some crazies. My head was cloudy, my body was achy and my anxiety was thru the roof and that’s just some of what I went thru. But I had also started my quit with shear determination and stubbornness cause to me the word quit meant it was over, done with, finito, the fat lady had sung. I was not going to fail and let myself down.

All of our experiences are different. It’s just important to remember that everything you go thru is temporary and survivable. Read, read and read and if you don’t find your answers reach out to us. It’s import to know that what you are experiencing is normal and you will be okay. 

You are going to discover that what you thought you were gaining by smoking was a lie. I know at this point you won’t believe me but some time soon if you stay with your quit you will find out that the chemicals you were inhaling were actually enhancing your stress and anxiety. 

You are really so able to do this. Stop glorifying cigarettes and their magical powers. If they truly had the ability to do everything we think they can then EVERYONE would be doing it. 

We’re here for you!!!!

Beck

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Acceptance of your decision to quit cigarettes and nicotine might help you find closure. Many quitters, myself included, do not quit in happy mode (some see the light, some feel the heat), but come to it one day at a time. If you are willing to keep taking this journey (congratulations on putting the cigarettes down), then you too will find the kind of mindset you'd like to have about quitting. Walk the walk, stick with Ex (here 365), keep blogging.