cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Long term smokers versus short term smokers

How come some people who have smoked soooo many more cigarettes/day are able to quit better than someone who has only smoked less than 1/2 pack per day?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Barbara145

I don't know the answer to your question.  I know that for myself I felt like it was quit if I wanted to live.

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hi! I don't know the answer to your question......and I have to say, I'm not even sure your premise is true. It sometimes SEEMS as if someone is having an "easier" time......how do we really know.

But, my GUESS (again----just a guess) is that once you are an addict...you are an addict. Your body is addicted to nicotine. I'm not sure there is a more addicted or less addicted version.......you are just addicted. The LENGTH o time you smoked may have more to do with it than the number of cigarettes per day.......but I'm not really even sure about that.

BUT---if you are thinking of quitting......you have come to the right place. This is the best support site online. AND I AM SURE OF THAT!!!!

Hope you will hang around.

Hiya Sootie,        Thanks for welcoming me ! I actually started on my own March 5 & although I felt I had to start wearing the nicottine patches to help me, I only slipped twice, and once was because I was still half asleep & actually forgot that I started myself on this road so I just ditched it under the water asap & now I just have only tic tacs & jolly rancher candies at my nightstand! Gotta go watch Adam Lambert ! Not an american idol fan but I am an Adam fan & so is my mom!

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 8:01:08 PM EDT, Sootie <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: Long term smokers versus short term smokers

reply from Sootie in Conversations - View the full discussion

Hi! I don't know the answer to your question......and I have to say, I'm not even sure your premise is true. It sometimes SEEMS as if someone is having an "easier" time......how do we really know.

But, my GUESS (again----just a guess) is that once you are an addict...you are an addict. Your body is addicted to nicotine. I'm not sure there is a more addicted or less addicted version.......you are just addicted. The LENGTH o time you smoked may have more to do with it than the number of cigarettes per day.......but I'm not really even sure about that.

BUT---if you are thinking of quitting......you have come to the right place. This is the best support site online. AND I AM SURE OF THAT!!!!

Hope you will hang around.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Long term smokers versus short term smokers in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi And Welcome to Ex’s

Not sure your question/answer are right....I did’t smoke a lot and my quit was fairly easy after the first couple of weeks...I think each person is different ... and their determination...this quit journey takes hard work, knowledge and preparation...also facing many things we smoked through...I am glad you are quit ... I hope you read the blogs and read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX Glad you found us ~ Colleen 146 DOF 

thank you Colleen 146 Donna PS I have seen a lot of DOF- What does DOF mean?

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 8:19:12 PM EDT, sweetplt <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAeenEX

|

reply from sweetplt in Conversations - View the full discussion

Hi And Welcome to Ex’s

Not sure your question/answer are right....I did’t smoke a lot and my quit was fairly easy after the first couple of weeks...I think each person is different ... and their determination...this quit journey takes hard work, knowledge and preparation...also facing many things we smoked through...I am glad you are quit ... I hope you read the blogs and read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX Glad you found us ~ Colleen 146 DOF 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Long term smokers versus short term smokers in these streams: Inbox

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

DOF means Days of Freedom (146 Days of Freedom from smoke)

you sound like me hon...I had to learn so many of the abbreviations around here...

hahaha , I feel like such a dumb ass! Thanks for the translation!!

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 8:38:28 PM EDT, sweetplt <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

reply from sweetplt in Conversations - View the full discussion

DOF means Days of Freedom (146 Days of Freedom from smoke)

you sound like me hon...I had to learn so many of the abbreviations around here...

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Please don’t...lol ... you wouldn’t know unless you ask...

0 Kudos
elvan

I think that people are addicted if they keep smoking, I don't really think it matters how many cigarettes they smoked or even how long they smoked.  I smoked for 47 years and have been quit for over five,  I tried to quit many times in the past but always went back to smoking because of the addiction, my lack of education about the addiction, my lack of regular support, and my lack of commitment.  It was not easier to quit when I had only been smoking for a few years.  At the height of my smoking, I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day, the last year I smoked, I never smoked more than half a pack a day...my lungs wouldn't let me.

Ellen