cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Rooting plants

My Ex, friend Pat aka :. IrishRose sent me this beautiful Oregano plant last year and I am rooting it now to get more and keep it going. I have all sorts of things started now. Forsythia, roses, lilacs, celery, lemon,spinach...etc....in the toilet rolls I have all kinds of stuff started from seeds from peppers to cutting flowers. I have stuff all over the house getting them seeded or ready to transplant later outside. I never use rooting compound cause I never have luck with it....so far everything’s rooting though, Happy Gardening! Below you can see my winter garlic has come up and will be ready to harvest in late June.:)

6CE0899C-C0C0-4529-A19F-5FE377AA8522.jpeg

FCC8C1F2-4D65-480C-B9A0-5E3E84260542.jpeg629D08A6-E9BB-434A-8160-3DEDF0B7B639.jpeg0E09FA5F-5628-47AC-8585-DD31CFD983E4.jpeg9671AFBA-2D4D-4C54-8F1B-CB9100AC094B.jpegD34B4EA4-CBB8-472E-92AE-44EEBD67CB90.jpeg7BB9C020-94EF-4727-AF91-EF5E4168DBD6.jpeg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
49 Replies
IrishRose

Everything looks awesome, especially that Oregano.    Look at the roots on it!  If the temperature is above 60, you can put that Oregano outside.  I moved the plant in the pot to different locations in the yard, until I found a happy place for it.  It loves the sun, but keep an eye on it.  It will let you know when it is not happy.  If it wilts, it either needs water or it is getting too much sun.  It loves the sun, but enjoys some shade too, but then it gets over 100 degrees here during the Summer.

elvan

Looks amazing, I would never have thought of the toilet paper rolls...I so want to plant SOME things this year.  

XOXO,

Ellen

sweetplt

Thank you for sharing Missy...how beautiful your pictures...you have a “green thumb”...I can’t wait to see how the toilet roll plants work out...looks like spring has sprung for you...enjoy your Saturday sweetie...~ Colleen 145 DOF 

Mandolinrain

You too! I just learned about the toilet paper roll thing myself. So yep, I cant wait to see how it turns out

Mandolinrain

Thanks guys, IrishRose, I normally have to wait till after Mothers Day to plant outside. Temps are better by them . This morning when I took Nico out to walk it was 41  degrees!!!1 Burrr, but we had a nice brisk sunny walk  I did plant a couple things , lilac and clematis earlier this week...and hoping they will be ok.

YoungAtHeart

What variety of lilac did you find?    I have two very old bushes, but the new ones they are selling are not the same and just don't have the incredible fragrance of the originals.  I have a friend looking for one ---- can you propagate from the original and if so, do you know how?

You certainly ARE a gardener -to start so many different things in water and from seed!   I am jealous!!!

Mandolinrain

I brought starts with me from old house of a purple french lilac and a white french lilac then I found one called the Beauty of Moscow at Home Depot for 8 bucks and another one that is a reddish purple and I cant recall the name. I have no idea of they will root in the water but am giving it a go. Doing it like I do roses. I snip off about 8 inches of newer growth from the top  and leave only couple leaves on it and cut it just below the node and put on water. Ususally takes my roses 3-4 weeks to start root , not sure if lilacs will. Irish may know....

The one lilac I want badly and cant find ANYWHERE is the Cotten Candy. Let me know if you fond one ever please.

Dont be jealous, I just love to play around, Some grow, some dont

I also just ordered some French Peony blend from Brecks catalog, cant wait ti get them. I have never ordered from them but my Mom does all the time. Her gardens are amazing. She's so gifted with plants. Every bed, every flower has a name tag and is manicured perfectly.  Its really something to see and she turns 90 this fall and does most all of the work herself.!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Are the lilacs fragrant from the French varieties?  I bought a newer variety and it has hardly any fragrance at all.  Just like the roses (and people anymore, in my opinion).  Bred to be beautiful, but shallow in the fragrance (depth) department!

Mandolinrain

Yes they are , thats why I like them so much. The beauty of moscow one, I dont know. I just ordered it, but I love the soft white/pink tones in it

0 Kudos