cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

vol876

Day 5... it’s hard

i don’t want a cigarette at all today. I’ve been using the patch and the past few days have been doable. Today I didn’t want to get out of bed. It’s day 5 and I’m the most agitated and angry I’ve felt so far, and emotional. I don’t know what the hell to do with myself. I can’t get myself to do anything and I can’t distract myself. I was about to go to the movies with someone and I had us turn around and go home. All I can do is lie down, breathe and close my eyes. First I felt like something was wrong with me emotionally because my mind doesn’t want a cigarette at all, the mind is totally on board, but the emotions, angst, and pacing and not knowing where to go and what to do except breathe.

yes I remember last time I tried to quit this happened and I smoked...and it all went away, so I know it’s not me...it’s the withdrawals, which is good information to have. Anyhow, I just have to ride it out. 

Im scared of facing life without a crutch

Tags (2)
7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

So - find a NEW crutch!!!  Maybe it's writing here and asking for help - which you did - good for you!!!  Have a list all kinds of things you can do besides smoke!  Maybe just march in place, or take a shower, or take slow/deep breaths until the feelings pass (and they will).

You got through today - and that's AWESOME.  The more of these you string together, the easier it's going to become.

Keep going!

Nancy

elvan

Nancy is right, it will get easier.  Yes, it is hard in the beginning but you can give yourself permission to mourn for a while. If it is at all possible, please exercise.  Turn on your favorite music and dance to it or sing, watch funny videos on you tube, just don't smoke that's the ONLY thing you need to NOT do.  This will pass and it doesn't take smoking.

One day at a time...one feeling at a time.  Glad you came here and blogged, you did yourself a favor.

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

It's easy for me to say, but life is better without the crutch. It's been difficult to find things to keep my hands, mouth, and mind busy, but I'm doing more and more every day. I walk when I can, even if I don't want to, especially if I don't want to. I will not lie, I spent a couple days in bed just to keep myself away from the world and to keep the world away from me.

cinnamon.jpg

I'm stronger than this crutch right now. I have some hard and fast rules - smoking is not an option, I don't do that anymore, and most importantly not one puff ever, or as you might see it here and there - NOPE.

I always recommend cinnamon sticks to keep your hand and mouth busy. I used plenty of them.

And hey, congrats on day 5!!!

5.jpg

Donna

indingrl

WELCOME and CONGRATS ON 5 DAYS NICOTINE FREE!  Yahoooooo and WAY TO GO!  gentle hug.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Relearning life without nicotine/smoking dependency is a one day at a time journey and it sounds like you are willing to see where quitting will take you--since you've been through the angst before (so many have!!! you are in good company) and don't want to take the same solution. Great blog about what it is like for you. Yes you can succeed.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry, you are having a rough day.  There will be days like this.  The idea is no matter what NOPE and have a plan in place so you can use it.  Find something that you truly enjoy.  If that does not work lying down and breathing is all you can do.  It may be best to do just that.  Your body is going through some changes right now.  It is cleansing itself.  Think of it that way. I hope you are drinking lots of water.  Find a quiet place, deep breathing will help calm you.  It is not easy, you can make it harder by getting excited.  Try to remain calm when an urge comes  and breathe deep. That should help.  This will take practice so do not give up.  You are in control.  You can do this. 

0 Kudos
marciem

Hey there  vol876  ... 5 days is AWESOME.  It means you are more than halfway thru what we call HELL week, and now you know the reason!  It does get better.... slowly but surely.  There are still emotional ups and downs to go, but they get softer starting next week (heck week).

Right now you think you will always feel this crappy.  I know this.  It just feels like this is how you're gonna feel the rest of your life.  But you WON'T.  That's a guarantee and a promise.

It might be too soon for you to actually FEEL some of the benefits you are giving yourself, but they are happening in your body and mind, and you will be feeling them soon. 

Always remember... the bad parts of quitting smoking are all TEMPORARY.  The benefits are PERMANENT, and keep growing more than more the longer you are quit.

Hang on tight, the right can be bumpy but it is SOOOOO so so so worth it!

0 Kudos