cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sister5

I failed on my quit day, having a lot of anxiety and quilt, I want this so badly, please help

Why why why why

15 Replies

I think if you look inward, you'll know why you relapsed. But tell me, did you quit again or are you still smoking? A relapse can be a learning experience, making what was originally negative into a positive. You need to know what made you smoke and more importantly, what you'll do to make sure it doesn't happen again when you start your quit again.

You haven't lost unless you've given up completely. Now, it's time to get back on that horse and ride yourself to freedom!! I look forward to hearing of your future success!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Beck37

Quitting is all about your attitude. In order to be successful you need to change the way you think about your quit. I was excited and could hardly wait. Yes I knew it was going to be harder than heck, after all I had smoked for 37 years, but I had made the decision to quit and I was going to.  Get rid of all those negative thoughts you are having. This is a good thing. 

Have you written down all of your reasons for wanting to quit? This really will be helpful to you....  Again I can’t stress strongly enough that this is truly all about your determination to do this. 

You need to stay out of your head and not even thing about smoking. If you focus on it you’re going to want to do it. You will feel a bit “crazy” at times but you will be okay and that much stronger once you do. We are truly here for you...

Beck

AnnetteMM

I'd never read that one before! I certainly recognized Quitters A and B!

0 Kudos
Giulia

I think we all recognize Quitters A and B.  There are some mighty good blogs in Best of EX

TW517

A lot of us have had "false starts".  Please, please dust yourself off and get right back on the wagon.  I promise that will be far easier than putting it off a week or even a day.  Like Chuck said above, try to make it a learning experience.  Figure out what was happening to make you want to smoke, and resolve to figure out a way to avoid that situation.  Or, come up with a way to just get through it next time.  We all know what you're going through and have your back! 

maryfreecig

Why, why, why? Because smoking/nicotine is an addiction-- dependency. Quitting requires motivation to change, not necessarily happiness (at first). Planning a quit includes understanding that you may feel cravings at first and they can be dealt with one day at a time. Ex is here to help if you want it.

indingrl

WELCOME back! Yahooooo- GOOD JOB coming right back!!!! Thanks for sharing your courage and SELF honesty-  QUESTION - WHY. - because YOU have PERSONAL FREEDOM TO CHOOSE to use YOUR DRUG of CHOICE NICOTINE or NOT- it is that simple! CHOICES - CHOICES - CHOICES - NOW -  the old feeling thinking and old habits and old patterns of YOUR FREE WILL - SUGGESTED TO ME BY THOSE WALKING THEIR TALK - SUGGESTED TO ME that I educate MYSELF on MY own NICOTINE ADDICTION- that is what was SUGGESTED to ME in MY EARLY RECOVERY -  so I took their SUGGESTIONS - I read the blogs here and watched the free videos at whyquit.com that showed those who died from smoking at very young ages - also SUGGESTED to read the FREE book at whyquit.com called - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER by Joel- WHO has been HELPING NICOTINE ADDICTS for over 40 YEARS -  also SUGGESTED to remain open- minded to learn - NEW ideas and NEW ways and find what NEW -  works for ME - everyone uses drug nicotine differently and recoveries are different also - FIND WHAT WORKS JUST FOR YOU  - education is the key- I was using 50 death sticks a day at the end of using MY DRUG NICOTINE- I smoke MY first cigarette butt at 5 YEARS old- please I am talking about me - NOT anyone else-  I started using MY DRUG NICOTINE-  everyday at 15 years old-  I used for 38 YEARS and SMOKING AT PEOPLE was what I did !  I stayed on this site every day for the first 90 DAYS of MY EARLY RECOVERY from NICOTINE and  reading blogs - writing VENTING blogs where I was whinning- complaining - confessing - that I wanted to use MY drug of choice NICOTINE- I blogged BEFORE I took that first PUFF over ME- I still come here everyday to HELP- so please take what HELPS and let go of the rest- to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you. gentle hug.

YoungAtHeart

I wonder if you still had cigarettes in your environment on your quit day?  If so - that probably doomed this attempt.  You need to put any you have left under running water and into the trash - ashtrays and lighters need to go, too.

Did you prepare for the quit this time?  Plan for it?  Write down things you could do instead?  If not - do them before this next attempt.  This is a serious addiction and it isn't easy to let go!

You might spend a minute recognizing your thoughts when you gave in....and decide now to short circuit them if they appear in head on your next attempt.  You could have done lots of things besides smoke:  slow/deep breaths, write a blog here asking for help, calling a friend, going for a walk, taking a soak in the tub.  These cravings will only last about three minutes - but you need to be disciplined in the early days to subvert them.

You are only a failure if you don't set a new date and stick to it!!!

Get to it!

Nancy