cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mavebee

Routine change?

Supposed to change my routine? My dogs won't go outside without me. That was my smoking time. Plus working second shift and smoke with my coffee after meals etc.

9 Replies
Andstillirise

Can you take something with you when you go out with dogs ? Like cinnamon sticks or chew on a piece of gum to distract you . 

That helps me when I drive . Driving is a major trigger for me . 

SimplySheri

Maybe drink tea instead of coffee?  Or drink it at the table rather than wherever you used to smoke?  Instead of smoking after meals, how about an after dinner mint or take the dogs for a walk?  It won't feel the same at first but you'll get the hang of it and may even get more creative with your new routine

Barbscloud

Good morning Mavebee We can't change everything we do, but if we can change what we do along with that behavior.  We still have to go to work, drive our cars. and take our dogs out.  I recently put Cloud down, but I also was learning new associations.  I always smoked outside, so taking Cloud out was a chance to smoke.  She was so mellow and never wandered, I would sit on the porch and watch her while I smoked. When I quit, I started either walking around the yard with her or I'd take my phone and played a video game when she just wanted to lay in the grass.  

Again, since I smoked outside, I too my coffee with me.  I quit doing that and started drinking my coffee when I was on my computer checking out the Ex.  There are lots of different things you can do.

Barb

sweetplt

You have gotten some good advice above me...we really can’t always change our schedule, but we can change how we do it...and we can Choose not to Smoke ... Search and read 100 things to do instead of smoke....Colleen 138 DOF 

elvan

I always smoked outside and had a feral cat who needed to be fed out there.  I made myself start going out there and just taking deep breaths, eventually blowing bubbles.  I rearranged the furniture on the deck where I used to smoke and I got rid of everything that reminded me of smoking.  I stopped drinking coffee and drank green tea for a few weeks and I got up immediately after finishing meals.  If I was at home, I started my clean up, I didn't eat at work but I did go outside with a friend who smoked after several weeks of freedom.  I just did not sit down and I made sure I was never downwind of her smoke.  

You can do this, it really isn't as hard as it might sound.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Changing routines does not cause anyone to quit and is only a suggestion. If you love coffee and that makes you feel like smoking, try adding reading at Ex during your coffee time. Sometimes its the distractions that help quitters to get over the first few days of quitting, but ultimately you must be willing to get through the uneasiness of change.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

The suggestion to change your routine I would say is optional.  The idea is to get out of your comfort zone and do things a little different.  It is not by leaps and bounds that we make a change but by baby steps. Some days I would just get out of the bed from another side.  A simple change as that can cause one to be more mindful throughout the day.  We have to willingly let go by faith and not hold on to the cigarette.  Say yes I can or at least give it an attempt to see whether something works or not. The idea is to move forward one step at a time. One day at a time. Yes you can.

marciem

You've gotten some great suggestions, Mavebee!!

Any change in routine is, as mentioned, optional, and only suggested to make things easier over the roughest spots of the early quit.  In otherwords, if you DO change some things, it will probably be temporary and you can go back to your "usual", without smoking and be comfortable.  The only things you need to change, in the short term, are those actions and habits that make you feel like you're gonna die if you don't have a smoke RIGHT NOW.  This is a feeling, and only a feeling.  You won't die if you don't smoke.  But if coffee on the porch makes you feel like a squirrel trapped in a coffee can, by all means change the place you have your coffee, and/or switch up to tea or cocoa for your usual drink.  If break-time means smoke-time at work, take your breaks maybe in another area, or bring a book to read or some different activity.  If all your co-workers are out smoking, you may need to re-join them after  your quit is more solid.

One important suggestion is, if a beer or wine or other alcohol after work or on weekends is your habit, STRONGLY suggest leaving it off for the short term. Alcohol is the #1 quit-killer that I've seen, and it takes planning to get thru a drinking session smoke-free the first few times.

Quitting smoking is a definite commitment, and takes effort in many different ways.  It won't "just happen", so I'm happy to see you looking for answers how to make it work in your particular life-style.

Always feel free to come here with your questions or concerns.

indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS FOR REMAINING A NON SMOKER JUST FOR YOU- Yahoooooooo- WAY TO GO!!!  Thanks for asking for NEW routines -  it was SUGGESTED to ME in the beginning of MY EARLY RECOVERY from NICOTINE to pray - SUGGESTED prayer is the Serenity Prayer-  the prayer - God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - in HIS love and service - gentle hug.

0 Kudos