cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

evon-barker

close to giving up on quitting

I am so ready to give up! I cried all night because I am gaining so much weight, and because I caved around smoking friends and smoked with them. I think either it's the pills or just not smoking that is making me depressed. Either I smoke and eat foods I like or stop smoking and spend my life eating lettuce and tofu. Yeah every one is going to say exercise, but problem is I am disabled with Lupus and have to limit my exercise to only my good days. I am so disgusted with myself! I feel like a failure. I didn't even take my chantix last night, or this morning.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ladymullet

I can fully understand where you are coming from. I can't do much in the way of exercise either. I have cerebellar degeneration, and some days I just can't function. I have gained about 10 lbs, and believe me I don't need to gain any weight, am already pretty big. I have only been smoke free for 18 days, and every morning I wake up hoping that this will be the day that I feel better and I am sure that one of these mornings it will be, but for now I am sticking to the thought that smoking is not an option. I think that we all have that demon in our head that says why are we putting ourselves through this torture, but deep down we know why we are doing it. Remind yourself why you quit in the first place, and think which is worse that chocolate cookie or that smoke. Some of my cravings are still pretty strong and I am doing and eating what ever it takes to get me through it. I'll worry about the weight later. I eat a LOT of pretzels and they aren't too bad. If I can help let me know.
0 Kudos
angelquit

You can't give up. Think of all the reasons why you want to quit. Think positively that you will & can quit. You can bet this. If you gain a little weight don't sweat it right now. Stay focused on not smoking. I've gained 20+ pounds, but it feels so good not to smoke. I love it. I think the chantix made me depressed also, so I quit taking them. Talk to your doctor. But don't give up on quitting, You made a mistake, get up, brush yourself off and get back on the non-smoking wagon. Good Luck and Stay Strong. Angelquit - Free and Healing for Three Months, Fourteen Days, 19 Hours and 46 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2136 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $396.99.
0 Kudos
joyce14

My goodness, Evon, you certainly do have some special challenges to deal with, don't you? I would be up crying all night if I were to gain a lot of weight, and would probably go back to smoking if I went beyond an emotionally acceptable image of myself in the mirror, as well. In fact, the last time I embarked on this mission - 3 years ago - I had not smoked for 41 days. But when I could no longer force my largest pair of jeans beyond my thighs, I freaked out, stomped on and kicked my too small wardrobe about, then ran to the nearest store and and started back up.

I hope that nobody has, or will, minimize your thoughts and feelings, or given you any harsh advice, such as "shit or get off the pot." May I ask how long ago you started the Chantix program? I noticed that my waistline bloated up almost immediately, and jowels formed along my jawline. I too cannot do any strenuous exercizing, jogging or power walking, because I have COPD. But I do walk early every morning for at least one hour - at a steady and comfortable pace - and I have noticed that my waistline is beginning to return to me, as well as developing firmer thighs and calves. Scales make me too neurotic, so I never weigh myself; just go by how my clothing fits. And I also do not deprive myself of any of the foods I enjoy. If I want dessert, I merely have it for dinner, instead of a more conventional meal. That seems to eliminate binge eating, and makes carrot sticks and other healthful foods more pleasurable.

You are not a failure, and I wish I could somehow convince you not to be disgusted with yourself. Our thoughts and feelings really do lie to us when we are depressed, and I hope with all my heart that you can convince yourself to not give in and listen to them. I wish you the best of luck .
Joyce
0 Kudos
evon-barker

Thank you sooo much to every one who has replied to help me. Joyce, I started the chantix a month ago. This is the second time I have tried it though. The first time, last year, it worked fantastic! But like a dummy I gave the rest of my script to my daughter because her insurance wouldn't cover hers. I could have quit so easy then!! Now the stuff has blowed me up like a balloon and makes me sick and I am having terrible dreams, AND it's not working as good! I smoked today and I feel so guilty now. I was planning on just giving up and be a smoker. But now I think I don't want to give up, I feel more like a failure if I just stop trying. I do think I have to cold turkey it though and forget the chantix.
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Evon, well I can certainly identify with the weight gain...I quit on June 3 and have not stopped eating since...I had a meltdown a while ago and bought cigarettes, I lit several and barely puffed, I hated them, they tasted horrible and really weren't going to help me lose that weight...so I'm back on track, still eating though.

I so wish I had a solution for you, I don't, I am just trying to pay attention to what I eat and when.;.It doesn't alway work, I just talked to my neighbor and told her I had quit smoking and about getting fat, she's 75 and a real sweetie, she's going to weight watchers so now I'm going to go with her next week, I couldn't say no, and in reality if I have to get on a scale each week I think that will do it not to mention it's a good program

well this is probably more than you need to know, just know you aren't alone, and being a non smoker is really so wonderful...everyone says you can lose weight later and that's true, I think we can, if nothing else, control the weight we gain...I'm here for you if you need me.

Donna
0 Kudos
bill-v_

Yep, I gained twenty pounds.....much better than smoking, and I can lose the weight. One thing at a time. Guaranteed, smoking is the killer! Sorry to hear about the Lupus, but even with it, you will be able to shed the pounds. I'm more concerned that you would lose your resolve. You will never quit without it. You make the strength you need. Be strong!

Bill V.
5 Months
0 Kudos
christine2007

How about we just forgive ourselves a little bit. We are soooo hard on ourselves. The weight isn't going to change instantly if you go back to cigarettes... but the guilt and remorse for not quitting will be there. So, why not just give yourself a little break... How many bad habits and body issues do you want to tacke all at one time??? 😃

Call it the "I LOOK FABULOUS NO MATTER WHAT I WEIGH... BECAUSE I'M GIVING BIRTH TO A WHOLE NEW ME" YEAR. Then, with your nice new white teeth and gorgeous smelling hair and a ton of cash you saved, you can successfully tackle your weight --> next year!

Be so kind to yourself... take your Chantix... breathe... relax... and just take one day, one hour, one whatever you have... at a time, dear.

Tomorrow is a whole new day.
I'm your quit-ness, Christine
0 Kudos
nancie

I have been going to the local swimming pool this past couple weeks and I noticed the last couple of days my cravings have gone down considerably. It has been 2 whole days without smoke. This morning I had to go for my 6 month check up for the replacement of my mitral valve. Told the doc that I felt like I gained 50 pounds since my surgery, but I know it is the Chantix that is making me feel this way. It sucks big time, but she said that I have only gained 7 pounds. So the confirmation is there that it is that damn pill. I also have Post Polio Syndrome which limits some of the excercising that I can do, just as others with disabilities. We have to think of other ways, and mine is at the swimming pool. Couldn't really afford a pass, but it has become well worth it now. I can excercise in the pool...and get a burnt butt in the process...giggle.
Don't give up on yourself Evon, just think of the positive things about you that you like. Then smile about them.
0 Kudos
evon-barker

Keep up the good work girl!! I wish I could do aqua therapy but I am allergic to the chlorine, most lupus patients are. I have gained 8 pounds on chantix. I am trying a different route, today I went for a holistic healing. It is so funny but since then every time I light up I get a pain in my head like I'm getting a headache! Hey I'm a total sceptic but whatever my healer is doing is working! "yeah put the whammy on my smokes!" whatever it takes right? lol
0 Kudos