cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sister5

Why does it seem like others find it easier to quit

I feel I will fail even though I have trouble breathing, I've shed many tears, I've been smoking 47 years

36 Replies
TW517

It's weird.  A mind game actually.  I really struggled the first 60 days or so of my quit, and to me, it seemed like everyone else who quit around the same time was sailing through their quit.  I was happy for them, but felt like something was wrong with me, and that maybe I should just "quit" my quit.  Of course, in reality, quite of few i(f not most) were struggling just as hard or worse than me.  I just couldn't see that then.

All of us here feared failure at the beginning.  You eventually get the hang of it, and coming here for support when you are struggling is encouraged and was a life saver for me.  Welcome to EX!  Glad you are here!

Beck37

Quitting is all about attitude. Let that fear of failure motivate you.... if you go into your quit okay with failing then you probably will. If on the other hand you refuse to fail, then you will be successful. There are not many things we have control of in our life, but choosing  whether we smoke or not is. 

All of of us on this site have smoked for many years, just like you. Yes, quitting is scary, it’s all you’ve ever known. You will go thru some real crazies in your quit but you will be okay. The mental part will be the most difficult cause everything you’ve done in the last 47 years involved smoking. But guess what, there are truly billions of people all around us that never ever smoked and somehow are surviving and so can you.....

When I smoked my very last cigarette 110 days ago, I took my time. I knew that it was going to be my last one ever, so I acknowledged that at the time. I will not let myself down. I committed to my quit. I did not allow myself an out. Unlike so many other things in my life, this is totally on me...... and I will not fail me.

Stay out of your head.... make yourself proud. We are here for you!

Beck

minihorses

Well said.  We can only succeed when we say we can.

Legend

It is hard for all of us also. Even after my heart attack I relapsed twice but I got back up because a lot of people here knew how to contact me and they came after me they would not let me fall and stay down. I had fluid in my lungs really bad when I smoked and could not even speak one sentence without coughing. I finally got mad at this addiction instead of giving in to it. Keep telling yourself you can do this and never give up no matter what happens. You are going to have some tough times but so did all of us but it does get better with time. I never thought I could quit smoking but here I am smoke free for over 10 years now. You can do this.   

indingrl

In HIS love I love you Christine and miss visiting YOUR page from the OLD site- gentle hug.

Legend

indingrl   Yep I miss the old site also it was nice while we had it. I am glad you are still around this place helping everyone. (((Hugs to you)))

Christine, your words are so true & you sound so much like my mom telling me it will get better with time & she has been smoke free over 12 years even though we live together & i have still been smoking until a few weeks ago.  hug hug 

Legend

troublesleeping   I am glad you made a choice to quit smoking you will be glad next time you get really sick from a cold or the flu your body will thank you by getting better quicker. Thanks for the hug I needed one today. I hope you have a nice day. Best wishes to you.  (((((Big hug to you)))))

Via

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 9:22:17 PM EDT, Christine_Aka_Legend <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

You have been mentioned

by Christine_Aka_Legend in Re: Why does it seem like others find it easier to quit in BecomeAnEX - View Christine_Aka_Legend's reference to you

troublesleeping   I am glad you made a choice to quit smoking you will be glad next time you get really sick from a cold or the flu your body will thank you by getting better quicker. Thanks for the hug I needed one today. I hope you have a nice day. Best wishes to you.  (((((Big hug to you)))))

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos