cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bjh_68

Slipping with migrains

Hi all, I have not been on here for a few days, I had a bad round with vertigo, when I got over that, I had one whole day of chiari headaches that send shocking sensations down my neck and around to the back of my eyes..so when that happened I slipped and had a few puffs of a cigarette but the good news is I take a few puffs and put it out. The rest of the time I have the will power to fight it off and keep busy when I have the urges, but when I get these headaches my will power goes to zip. I will be seeing the neuro surgeon on april 26th to discuss my upcoming surgery. My quit is suppose to be gin tomorrow and  I am hoping to quit completely. I have made some good progress here though...will I make this...

11 Replies
indingrl

Welcome you are a NON SMOKER yahoooooooo GOOD JOB DAY ONE NOW! gentle hug.

YoungAtHeart

I know it's difficult to remain committed in the midst of a migraine, but you need to come up with a plan of what ELSE you can do instead of smoke. Perhaps a cup of herbal tea, or a head wrap around your temples with an ice pack, or maybe some slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, or sipping from a bottle of cold water.  I am glad you are talking to someone about them.

Your quit is not "SUPPOSED" to start tomorrow!  What are you waiting for?   Your quit IS starting tomorrow.  Have your plan ready!  Put any remaining cigarettes under running water, then toss them AND your ashtrays AND your lighters in the trash.  If you haven't already, tonight you should write a list of why you want to quit to review, and another list of distracting activities you will use in the early days of this quit.  Get ready!  Get a crossword puzzle book and some sugar free mints or gum, a bottle for water to sip.  Change up your routine tomorrow.  Stay close to us here.

You CAN do this!!! 

YOU C A N !

Let us know how we can help!

Nancy

bjh_68

Thank you! I will be checking in probably more often for the first few days anyways...I have some puzzles I can do and some books I have lined up to read. Yes my routine has to change for this to happen..The headaches or the most challenging times for me not to pick up a cigarette but I believe I can do it...Thanks for the awesome support from this site.

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it,  if you're willing ,determined and totally committed to succeed then you can and will be successful once you are ready to start your quit journey pick your quit date and when your day ONE arrives keep busy and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for Day WON with many more to come you can do this upcoming quit believe it deep breaths and do the reading because it'll help you get started on this awesome journey . bjh_68

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry about the headaches.  As Nancy said to have a plan to do something different.  Take the option of smoking off of the table.  SINAO  smoking is not an option. Talk yourself OUT of smoking.  It is not easy but doable. The headaches can become an EXcuse to smoke.  A wise elder once said if you are still smoking you have not quit.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read the suggested materials they are very important.   Be prepared by planning what you are going to do how you re going to do and do it because quitting is DOABLE.  I hope you get better. Tomorrow is another day.  DO IT! Peace. 

elvan

SO sorry you have had to suffer with those horrible headaches.  Please don't think quitting has anything to do with will power...if it did, I would be down for the count.  It has to do with willingness to accept life without the addiction.  I hope you do not have any more headaches between now and your surgery.

Best,

Ellen

Sootie

I'm so sorry about the headaches................but I really don't think smoking is the only thing that will help. So how about researching things you can do when they hit. Glad you are seeing a neurosurgeon. Tomorrow is your quit day! To be a true quit day you MUST NOT SMOKE! You can do this. Hope to see you on here tomorrow and often. The site will help if you let us......................stay strong.

beazel

Sorry you are dealing with these awful headaches, and vertigo is horrible - I hope you get relief soon.

Please get rid of the cigarettes!

Keep us posted.....

Barbscloud

Stay close to the site.  It really does help when you have those moments that you feel like you have to smoke.  Read/post helps pass the time until the craving ends.   I know from other's how painful migraines can be.  I'm sorry you have to suffer with those.  I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier not to smoke.  Try to find something to substitute and change your focus.