cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tyke1980

Why aren't I coughing after quitting?

Hey everyone.  I am 25 days nicotine/smoke free today which I'm very proud of.  Came close to giving in many times but somehow pulled through.  Anyways, I've attempted seriously quitting 2-3 times prior and within a day or two, I would develop an awful cough where I would cough up gobs of icky phlegm and spit it out.  I only quit for a couple weeks at those attempts but EVERY time without fail, got this awful cough and phlegm.  I knew it was a good sign that my lungs were healing and cleaning out gunk. 

However, this time, NO COUGH.  This concerns me as I don't feel like my lungs are getting healthy and cleaning out.  It's almost defeating in my mind because I actually looked forward to seeing all the crap come out of my lungs as odd as that may sound but it's almost encouraging to know and SEE that this is what was in your lungs and gave me motivation to keep going.  

Should I be worried that I"m NOT coughing anything up this time?  Are my lungs still healing or what's the reason behind this?  It concerns me because it's not the same as the other "quits" and is discouraging.  I see my lung doctor in 2 weeks for a breathing test which always was good but am going to ask these questions there too.  

It almost makes me think I could go back to smoking if I"m not seeing any benefits.  I do feel some when exercising but lately I've been out of breath a lot doing only the lightest of activity and that makes me feel defeated too.  I'm not planning on picking up a cig, just those feelings that get in the way.  

Any advice or experiences you can share with me?  Is this normal?   Thanks and much love to all of you!  

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Giulia

I think all our quits are different from one another.  And even our own quits can be different from another one.  I never coughed up a lot of junk, for example.  Ever.  What happens when we smoke is that the cilia (those little hairs that clean out the gunk in our lungs) become paralyzed.  This link provides a good explanation of cilia and what happens when we smoke.  https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/cilia/   

"It almost makes me think I could go back to smoking if I"m not seeing any benefits."  That's just your addict brain whispering it's lies at you.  The best thing you can do is remain smoke free.  Smoking is NOT going to make you breathe better.  I never saw any major benefits when I quit.  Well, except for my sense of smell.  It seems almost as keen as a dog's now.  A majority of the benefits are taking place INSIDE your body.  You can't see them, you just have to trust that that's true.  The jury is no longer out on the damage that cigarettes do to us.  You know that.  That's why you came here, right?

Congrats on your 25 days.  You're doing really good!  Stay the course.  Remain true blue to you.  And DO ask your doctor that question when you see them.  

sweetplt

Everyone is different ... you still may get the cough and if you didn’t be glad and know you are doing the best thing for YOU....Why after 25 days do you want to go back to smoking? If you go back, you would eventually have to quit, and then you may lose a Lung, etc.,  If you are very worried, see your Doctor ... honestly...be proud .. you are choosing Life over cigarettes ~ Colleen 129 DOF

elvan

Are you staying really well hydrated?  If not, you need to drink more.  When I quit this last time (over five years ago), I didn't cough either but it was because I didn't have the strength to cough.  I was really sick.  I couldn't get enough air IN to cough effectively.  Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it and then exhale SLOWLY through pursed lips.  That helps to get rid of any air that may be trapped and giving you the sensation of shortness of breath.  I am glad you are seeing your pulmonologist, that is a great idea.  Keep us posted and please know that there is NEVER a good reason to smoke!  Take this one day at a time.

Ellen

tyke1980

I'm so sorry that you were so sick and couldn't even force a cough!  That must have been scary.  I appreciate you sharing some advice and personal experience as it's comforting to know that the cough isn't necessary for recovery.  I hope you're doing well!  

tyke1980

Thank you and it's true everyones journey with recovery is different but it scared me because I was expecting to cough up a bunch of stuff and that would be a sign of my lungs and the cilia healing.  It's a bit depressing not to feel them getting "clean".  I pray that nothing is wrong.  I shouldn't have said that it makes me think I could go back to smoking because that's not on my mind at all.  I've come too far to just give up because my recovery is different this time from last.  Thank you all!

YoungAtHeart

I quit on my first attempt, so had nothing with which to compare it, but I never coughed and never cleared out my lungs and cilia that way.  I assume the gunk was somehow absorbed into my body's waste  system and gotten rid of that way.

Nothing to fret about!!!

tyke1980

Thank you for your comforting words and personal experience!  It eases my mind a bit that others don't always cough when they quit either.  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

We're all different.  I didn't cough either.   I don't remember hearing anyone else say this. 

I never say any major benefits when I quit.

I'm pretty much the same.  Maybe my smell is enhanced.   Food already tasted pretty darn good and I already exercised regularly and did lots of physical work.  My withdrawal was more on the emotional end.  There actually can be physical maladies that result from quitting. I developed hypothyroidism which can be attributed to quitting smoking.  But I'm still happy I quit and hopefully avoided some major illnesses.   I agree:

A majority of the benefits are taking place INSIDE your body.  You can't see them, you just have to trust that that's true. 

It's sounds to me like you're doing great.  25 days smoke free is certainly something to be proud of.  Discussing all of this with the pulmonary doctor is the smart move.  I'm sure he/she is going to be so excited for you.  My doctors have been some of my greatest supporters.    

Barb

tyke1980

Thank you for your experience and words of advice.  It's comforting to hear that not everyone coughs but that doesn't mean that good things aren't taking place inside our bodies and lungs that we can't see!  I do have a very dry throat and a little cough where 2 times I coughed up just a tiny amount of back crud.  Very tiny amount but a good visual as to what my lungs probably look like internally.  ALl those little cilia suffocating under black gook.  I don't notice much overall difference except that I can jog without getting tired now but my energy is actually quite low and I can get moody when I crave.  I'm happy I quit too and I look forward to what the lung doctor say when I see her in a week!  Thank you again and hope you're well!