cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Magnolialane

Day 58

I’m on day 58 of not smoking. When does it begin to feel natural? I’m still wanting to smoke. I’m considering going back on Chantix . I took it for 6 weeks. Advice? 

Tags (1)
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are smack dab in the middle of No Mans Land:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr....  Read all about it!!

Just as everybody is different, so is each quit, so it's difficult to tell you when it will feel "natural."

I wouldn't expect that you would not think about smoking at all just yet - but it you should start to notice a morning/afternoon or evening where you didn't think about it; if not yet - then soon.  Then it will become a full day every so often, then you will string a few of them together.  This is a process, not an event.

Be patient - hang in there - it WILL happen - I promise!

Nancy

Sootie

I don't know anything about taking chantix......so I can't help you there. My instinct would be to say-----don't go backwards. You have quite a few days without anything...keep pushing forward. Tell yourself this.....you certainly smoked for longer than 58 days! So wouldn't you think that it would take some time for NOT smoking to feel natural? 58 days is great! Fantastic! But it is still early days. It really will get easier and easier (with some "bum" days in between).

Stay Strong.

elvan

It takes times to feel "natural" not smoking...think about how long you smoked and think about how much you smoked and the associations you had with smoking.  It does get easier, I don't think anyone can tell you at what point that will happen.  As far as the chantix is concerned,  if you really feel like your quit is threatened, I think you should talk to your doctor.  I would normally say the same thing as Sootie‌ and to decide not to go backwards.  You really have come so far.  I came here every morning and every evening when I first quit and now, after more than five years, I am still on this site every day.  I learn things from the people with long term quits as well as the new people.  We lean on each other.  I think that identifying my triggers really helped me because I was able to actually plan for things to do instead of smoking when I felt triggered.  This is a one day at a time JOURNEY and it is going to have ups and downs and you are going to have good days and bad days...JUST like you did when you were smoking.  Smoking really never fixed anything, it never changed anything, it did not take away stress,l it contributed to it.  It did not take away anger...whatever was stressing you out or making you angry was still there after you smoked.  You CAN do this...you really can do it and you are not alone.  We all want you to succeed.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

sweetplt

A lot depends on you ... working through the addict part of you...when you start to realize you aren’t giving anything up, but gaining so much more...when you realize you are and can be happy as an ex smoker...the quitting is so much more then the quit... letting go ... of all the hurts , angers etc., that was “no mans land” for me....I think the advice from the old timers above me is great... gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 120 DOF 

AnnetteMM

Plow through! It'll be worth it in the end. Why on earth would you want to "go back" to anything? You're moving forward. Keep it up. You'll wake up one day and realize you no longer feel like a smoker who has quit. You'll feel like a nonsmoker. And it's glorious.

maryfreecig

We unlearn smoking one day at a time. My advice is to be proud of your 59 days. To keep up with or add new to-dos to your life, stick with Ex for stories of recovery. If you find yourself dwelling on what used to be, run don't walk to smober activities--whatever they may be for you. You are not alone in how you feel, part of the way out of the addiction is to get through times like these. Yes you can.