cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WikkdSra

Winning or Losing

I'm craving bad and it seems like nothing I do helps for long but I keep fighting so I think I'm winning but it could just be that I'm losing slowly. I even grabbed one but I gave it away after holding onto it for almost 2 hrs.

16 Replies
sweetplt

Hang tough...we were all in your shoes...you are early in your quit and it takes time...scream in a pillow, drink water, eat a lemon, (Dale says put your head in the freezer and breath in cold air)...do anything put smoke...you don't want to go back to day 1...I am sending quit vibes your way ~ Colleen 119 DOF 

maryfreecig

You've got five days? Or more? You've had better moments than this, so now is your chance to talk yourself down from panic--quitting is a good thing and is not the end of the world. 

Rather than link you to Jackie's blog I'm pasting it my comment to you so that you can read it right away. You are not losing, but you may be trying to talk yourself into a cigarette more than you are trying to talk yourself into hanging tough til the smoking thoughts pass. And they will. You are not destined to smoke. Please let us know how you are doing.

One of the greatest tools you can use

Blog Post created by JACKIE1-25-15 on Jan 27, 2019

Self Talk

What you say to yourself matters.  Whatever you tell your brain has a major impact on your life and your quit smoking journey.  If you are constantly feeding your brain negative thoughts.  What will you get? ….Negative results

The goal is to Debrief, Debunk  Deprogram the stinkin thinkin. 

In order to do that we have to wash the brain of the brainwashing with Self-talk. 

Let’s just look at a few.

“I can’t do this”. ( you have already given up).  Say: Yes, I can do this!

“This is hard”.  (That is a reality when it comes to quitting smoking.)   Yes, it is hard but I can do it!

“I am struggling”. (Sounds like you will never make it). This is a "challenge" that I can meet.

“I will never make it”.  Keep telling yourself... I am going to make it. No matter what!

“I never could do anything right”.   Say I can do this!  I won't give up.  

“I am so stupid”.  (You are doomed if you keep saying this one.)   What a man thinks so is he.

“I look terrible”.  (How about a makeover with the money you save.) Get out of your rut.

Make yourself pretty.  New way New life.  Tell yourself GOOD things. 

“I can make it.  I can do this.  I am beautiful, I am smart,  I am a nonsmoker. 

I am a conqueror.  I am a winner.  Yes, I can. No matter what comes I will not fail.  I am good at what I do.  I am worth it”.  

Change what you are telling yourself and change your life.

I am a nonsmoker ."  "I don't do this anymore.”.

Create your own positive self-talk  You can take it wherever you go. 

Say it with fierceness. Practice it in the mirror. 

Hum it, recite it. sing it, cheer it, blog it, think it, believe it. achieve it, be it...!

Say it with fierceness. " I can do this NOPE". 

WikkdSra

I'm still hanging tough. It's hard but I think you're right I may be talking myself more into than out of it. I need to remind myself that I can do this and that I will be a nonsmoker. I'm trying to stay productive and positive. My friend even gave me a 0 nicotine vape for emergencies. I never want to go through the first 2 days ever again. I need to stay strong.

WikkdSra

I want to thank you guys for your help. I almost didn't post but I'm glad I did. You guys are great and day 5 is almost over and I'm still going strong.

indingrl

Welcome and GOOD JOB staying NICOTINE FREE! Yahoooooooooo WAY TO GO!  it is easy to USE DRUG NICOTINE death stick YET YOU did NOT use YOU chose LIFE with YOUR NEW mindset - CONGRATS to YOUR NEW NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE living it just for yourself your own way that works for YOU!!! Yahoooooooooo. gentle hug.

sweetplt

Always post first ... so we can try and help ... sometimes just delaying the crave helps...try and figure what triggered the crave and how can you do differently next time...if nothing remember tomorrow is a new day...& hopefully a better one ~ Gotcha in my thoughts all evening ~ Colleen 

elvan

Congratulations on day five...it really does get easier but it's hard to remember that at the beginning.  You might try cutting some straws down to the right size and stuffing them with cotton...chew on them.  Take deep breaths in and hold for a few seconds and then exhale slowly through pursed lips.  Get some bubble juice and blow bubbles, if you exhale too quickly or too hard, you won't get any bubbles.  It helps to learn to control your breathing.  You are doing this...it is one day at a time and you already have FIVE!

Ellen

Barbscloud

Happy to hear day 5 was another successful day smoke free.   As everyone said, post when you need help.  Don't wait!  I know how many times it helped me early on.  Just coming here and reading/posting helped me get through those craves.  We're here to support you.

Barb

Kkplayhouse

Great job not giving in to that smoking crave. You can do it one hour at a time