cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

No Man's Land & Inbetweener Check In

Yes.  I know it has been a while.  I stopped posting weekly as interest seemed to fade.  I figured I would try to gauge interest and post a check in.

We used to do this discussion every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and to those who have not yet made it to the 6% club (In-betweeners). Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: Are you in No Man’s Land?

Are you about a month into your quit? Are you feeling a little down, a little lost? Don’t fret – you’re entering No Man’s Land, the 100 days that start at the end of your first month.

The first month of a quit is emotional and exhausting; you’re living in the moment and focusing all of your energy on your brand new quit. Around the one-month mark, things start to change, and you spend the next 100 days or so in a place called “No Man’s Land.”

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go.
 The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can really catch you off guard. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be overwhelming at times.

But here’s the good news
. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! 

If you're in NML right now, give a shout!  Reach out and find each other! 

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months:  What to Expect in the First 4 Months

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML who is ready, willing, and able.

7 Replies
Barbscloud

Good to see these again.  They were real helpful when when I was in this period.

Barb

sweetplt

Hi and good to see you...great post...I must say,  I have been in NML...but it has been a good experience.  I read the blog once a week and I am finding many new interests and things in my life...so I feel that is what my NML is all about...

~ most of all, I keep vigilant...Happy Thursday ~ Colleen 115 DOF 

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

OMG Welcome back! I've missed you.

IrishRose

If just one person notices and is touched by your words, it is truly worth it, whether they respond or not. 

Good to see you back!

Irish Rose 

TW517

As you know roller831, I struggled a bit during NML, but I loved coming here and sharing with you and other NML'ers.  Wouldn't have made it without you.  I really hope this takes off again.

I thought I might help out a little by posting a list of everyone on EX who quit between the last 30-100 days, but uh, not.  There are 462 names!  I never realized how many people join, but don't get involved.  Too bad.  Hopefully most at least get some help by reading our posts .

Hang in there NML'ers!  If I could survive it, trust me, anyone can!

DonnaMarie

Nice to hear from you. NML is a confusing place to be, but then I remind myself how I got here and it becomes a wonderfully pleasant place to be. 

Looking forward to seeing you again. 

Donna

Day 102, definitely NML

0 Kudos
hope111

Just happen to be in NML as we speak ... thanks a bunch for the insight