cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Post surgery progress

I saw my surgeon today and was told to use the lower part of my arm all I like, but not to lift the upper part or pick up/carry stuff, so I'm now typing with two hands! I set up a keyboard with the laptop for comfort, and it is so nice not to have to type with one finger anymore.

I start PT in 3 weeks and go for one more follow up in 4 weeks. The sling will go away in 3 weeks.

And though this is not smoking or surgery related, I got a call I've been waiting for today. Most of you know I do volunteer work for the local police department doing public events, Child ID events, helping out with classes, etc. I did some fill-in work with the local corrections agency (probation office) last winter and loved it. They are under the auspices of the police department here. I put in for a "permanent" position there that would be about 2 hours a week on a regular basis. There are so many layers of administration to go through to get anything done in the police department, but today, I was asked to take the open position. I'm very excited about it. When I did fill-in work for them, I so enjoyed the people and having to get up and get dressed once in a while. LOL I accepted. I start this week, sling and all.

Both of these forays into normalcy help with my quit. Boredom and anxiousness are the enemies of my smobriety, but I will remain clean. I never smoked at the probation office and never smoked when I went to physical therapy, so those are not danger areas at all. 

Donna

Day 99

8 Replies
indingrl

Yahooooooo WAY TO GO DONNA!

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Wow, Donna, congrats on the job!! And I'm so very glad you're healing well  Way to take care of yourself!!!  

0 Kudos
Sootie

Nice Donna---glad you are on the mend and got the job you wanted! And you move to triple digits tomorrow!!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

You are one of the people on here who show me the gift of giving.  I'm so glad you took that open position because you have such an open heart that needs to give. 

Tomorrow Triple Digit Club.  But you have much more than that in the realm of your giving heart.  Beautiful spirit that leads us all.  

OK, so from the wrist down, keep typing to us Donna.  Boredom?  I've never understood that.  There is so much in God's world to be fascinated with.  Just walk outside your door and look around with a  curious examining eye.  Or walk inside your mind.  Either way I've never found it boring.  Why do you?  Do you mean the 'routine' of life?  Well, yes, THAT's boring.  Really boring.  So - what are you doing to change that perspective?  Anything?  (Giulia said to herself.)

I am having the same problem recently.  Wake up, same crap is happening.  I don't know how to get past it.  But I do know that coming here and connecting with people - helps me.  I do know that walking outside my door at 1 am and looking up at the moon and taking deep breaths - helps me.   I do know that your post has helped me.  

None of this will solve our problems, but they help us know we're all connected and all going through the same crap.  Different crap, but - crap is crap!  After all.  lol  

Oh, crap, as we say - take what works and leave the rest....

DonnaMarie

Thank you for this. You're right about boredom. It's more like sameness and inactivity than boredom. Right now, the world is changing so much in my area as spring is making itself known. There is so much to see and examine even in my very own back yard. Daffodils are blooming, hyacinths too. Smells are changing. The dog sniffs more intently. Yes, there's much to see and do without going far at all. 

I live a pretty charmed life right now. Richard and I were talking last night and agreed that we make a good aging couple. We weren't so fortunate as a young couple and ended up divorcing, remarrying five years later. The gift we give to one another and receive from each other as life partners is pretty phenomenal, and I shouldn't complain. 

And on we go to make today another stellar day.

Donna

Day 100

hattonc

That’s so awesome!! Congratulations..

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on the job, on the 100 days, and on your smobriety.  I do believe you've GOT this, Donna.  I am so proud of you and I am really in awe of you, recovering from this surgery, staying connected, taking a job...you are something else.  Good for you.

Gentle hugs,

Ellen

Attagirl Donna!

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

0 Kudos