cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

You Will Need to Change More Than Your Smoking

... to stop your smoking.

These are excerpts taken from Dr. Mike Evans’ 2012 video:  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

“Stopping smoking is about making a change, and that’s not something we’re too good at. You will need to change more than your smoking to stop your smoking”

“Preparation... this is critical with smoking, especially in the event that you’ve quit before - what has worked in the past and what hasn’t.

“The power of nicotine comes from the repeated small doses you give yourself when you smoke....If you take fifteen puffs from a cigarette, and smoke...20 cigarettes a day, that’s 300 drug doses a day.

“There’s never a perfect time to quit and a some point you just have to jump.

“Part of the healing of stopping a damaging relationship is starting new healthy relationships,

“Failures are part of the dress rehearsals for eventual success."

====================================================== 

Education opens our eyes to the possibility of change.  Willingness allows that change to occur.  Acceptance makes the journey easier.  Perseverance ensures success.  Stick with it everybody.  

What changes are you willing to make in order to overcome this addiction?  I said to myself - "whatever is necessary. " What do you say?

10 Replies
Sootie

Truthfully, I don't know what possessed me that day nine years ago when I quit. I know that for some time I had been totally sick and tired of smoking. I was tired of the expense; tired of the social stigma; tired of the need to always have them always have a lighter, always have a plan. I was tired of deciding not to go places or making an excuse not to stay too long if smoking was not allowed. TIRED OF "IT"!!!!! Made the change in my life and I am so very glad that I did. And not just happy I made the change but oh so HAPPY I found this site and the wonderful friends I have made here who supported me through it. You are SURELY one of the most important. The words were not always what I "wanted" to hear....but they were what I "needed" to hear......and I am so glad I did.

indingrl

Thanks for sharing  MY beloved Lady G - YOUR WALIKING. NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE experience strength and hope ! CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB!!! Yahooooooooo and WAY TO GO!!!

SimplySheri

I was willing to do absolutely anything....go 'crazy', curl in a ball and cry, or even die trying.  I just wanted to be done!  And then it dawned on me that the only one who could stick my quit was...me.  I didn't have to fail. It was all on my shoulders.  And so I welcomed the challenge and almost 6 years later...I never looked back.   Btw....I didn't go crazy, cry, or die.  I was responsible for my quit so I just did it.

hattonc

I believe this fully .. there has to be changes in every aspect of our lives once we quit this horrible habit ... mine woujd be to workout , exercise, woujd make me more health conscience. Etc 

elvan

Great blog, I say the same thing, "whatever is necessary."

AnnetteMM

Change IS hard for us fragile humans. We have to set ourselves up for success! Clean those fabrics! Throw out those ashtrays! Find something new and pleasant to do. 

Thanks for those awesome excerpts. I love the image of smoking as a damaging relationship. So true!

sweetplt

Amen  Giulia this is so the truth... and I think it was timely that you posted it...Happy Monday dear lady...~ Colleen 112 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I said. "Whatever it takes."  I was very depressed.  I was on my couch for weeks.  I truly put one foot in front of the other until I began to see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. So grateful that I did it.  I do not miss smoking at all after 52 years of smoking.

DonnaMarie

“Failures are part of the dress rehearsals for eventual success."

I've done worn the costumer out in this play.  No more failures please.

Donna

Day 98