cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

LauraSB

Decided to do another 120 days of Chantix

I am new to this site so thanks for all of the warm welcomes fellow quitters! I believe I am on day 70 smoke-free thanks to Chantix. I am nearing the end of my 120 day Rx, and after reading some of your posts regarding higher success rates with another 120 days, I have decided to request another round.  I am very excited about this as the med has been working wonders for me! I did ask if it's ok to cut the pills in half however, because I'm not getting much sleep on the full dose and they make me very nauseous.... that's not going away. This only means I will have that many more doses to go beyond 120 days too, further ensuring my quit continues. I wonder though, has anyone here found the med to be less effective on 1/2 dose? Also, I find that I get very irritable at times on this med unfortunately. Anyone else experience this? I wonder if this will decrease on 1/2 dose.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would ask these questions of the doctor who prescribed the Chantix.  I really don't understand how it works!  Happy you are 70 days FREE!

Nancy

sweetplt

Happy Friday and A big Congratulations on 70 days of Freedom... Whoo Hoo ~ Colleen 109 DOF 

0 Kudos
Tamjy

Hi Laura - I commend you on refilling your prescription.  You simply need to do whatever it takes to get control of this addiction.  Chantix has been instrumental in keeping me smoke-free.  I've not done 1/2 pills, but there's no reason why you can't try it.  If you find it's not working or you're not ready, you can always resume the regular dosage.  I'm thinking about removing the evening dose in an attempt to begin weaning myself off the meds altogether.  We must do what is best for us right now, in this journey - as long as it's working and we remain smoke-free!

0 Kudos
KMC56

I took Chantix for about 4 weeks...not really sure if it worked, basically...I had have the desire not to smoke with or without this RX.  The enviable was I was quitting, and going through the withdrawal symptoms with or without chantix.  

I was also on this site, which I think was most beneficial.

My mind was ready, and I was determined to quit...so I basically ripped the  bandaid off.

No matter what nicotine assistance you use, bottom line..it's the same withdrawal symptom

of saying goodbye...and determined never to return to this painful withdrawal journey.

A very successful journey through the rocky terrain!

~Kathy 1067 DOF

0 Kudos
elvan

I never took Chantix or any NRT's but you said you checked and it is okay to cut the pills in half.  Even if it worked or didn't work for someone else does not mean that it will not work for you.  We can all share what worked for us as individuals but that doesn't guarantee it will work for the next person.  As long as you are not smoking, you are winning!  CONGRATULATIONS!

Ellen

0 Kudos
LauraSB

Update: I have been taking the half-dose in the morning and evening time with great results. No more nausea and still no desire to smoke!

elvan

LauraSB‌ That's great!  Thanks for the update, do stay close to the site, it is a life saver.

Ellen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Fantastic! Good to hear from you. 

0 Kudos