cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tammy18

Hi ladies!

My name is Tammy. I am a new Momma, my son is almost 7 months old.

I smoked before I got pregnant with him, and started again shortly after I had him. I am so ready to be done with smoking, so here I am. Hopefully this will assist me! Hope to get to know you ladies better!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
4mykids

Hello! I too smoked before I got pregnant I quit when I knew I was pregnant with my daughter. As soon as I quite nursing, I started again. When I got pregnant with my son I quit again. That time I was off them for 18 months!!! Started again as soon as I quite nursing. I've now been smoking for 13 years. I hate the smell, I'm tired of the money I spend. I want to live for my kids. Their dad is not in their lives so I really want to be there for them. I don't deal with stress very well. I've tried the gum, the lozenges they don't work! I can't use the patch I'm allergic to the adhesive! I'm hoping this will be the ticket for me. I'm still tracking but hoping this is it! Thanks for listening.
0 Kudos
jenn14

Congratulations! Your baby is beautiful! Mine is almost three months, and he's my main motivation. I don't want him to remember mommy smells like smoke and I even worry about him getting used to the smell as a comforting one, making him more likely to smoke when he's older...
0 Kudos
j-k

I smoked for years when I was younger, then i quit for 5 years. During that time I had my son, but soon afterward I started smoking again. I kept it up until I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, and I stayed smoke-free for my pregnancy and while I was breastfeeding, but now I am back. I feel ashamed of my own weakness, and I don't want to still be smoking when they are old enough to remember! I haven't picked a quit date, and I'm frankly a little afraid... but I'm glad to be taking the first steps
0 Kudos
liz-szabo

Hi Tammy,

I cover smoking issues for USA TODAY, along with other health news,and you would be perfect for a story I'm writing about helping women to quit. Lots of moms quit while pregnant, but up to 70% go back to smoking in the first year, so you are in good company. I don't smoke, but I have a 9-month-old daughter, so I know about new parenting stress!

If you think you would like to share your story (we need to include first and last names), please give me a ring or email at 703-854-5455 or 1-800-872-3410, or lszabo@usatoday.com

Congratulations on making the decision to quit. It's a wonderful gift to give both yourself and your son.

Liz Szabo
USA TODAY
0 Kudos
donna37

Welcome! We're all here for the same reason. I myself did the same. I smoked before I was pregnant, and started back up after the birth of my daughter. Why???? That damn addiction demon that creeps back up.... We know we can quit... we do it when we're pregnant for the best reason in the world! Not that hard, right? So, why is it so hard this time around? Because it's so easy to smoke! We need more will power! Look at that little one sitting next to you, looking up at you. He depends on you! You can do this! Come here often, when you feel the urge!
0 Kudos