cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tommym

The big lie

Tobacco companies knew so much more about creating image. I spent 25 years in advertising and we would regularly discuss cigarette advertisements. 

If you’re over 60+ you may remember these. 
I’ll start the slogan and you finish. Remember. The last time you heard this was January 1970. 
Winston tastes good like.............
I’d rather fight than ........
I’d walk a mile ..........
And we still remember. Now look at Hollywood. Actors and studios are paid MILLIONS for product placement and have their stars seen smoking.  
Maybe this will make you angry enough to quit. 
11 Replies
sweetplt

Even all of this couldn’t make me quit, until I said “ I no longer want to be an addict “...

However, it is unbelievable all the ads through nicotine company’s...Thank you for sharing.  

~ Colleen 105 DOF 

marciem

ugh I hate to say I remember them all ...

..a cigarette should

...than switch

...a Camel

how about

LSMFT.... Lucky Strike means....

they did a job on us!!  I was reading here the other day someone being shocked that Juuls being advertised on TV.  I remember being shocked when cigarettes were NO LONGER allowed to advertise on TV!  

Sootie

Yes---I was just thinking about this the other night because I was SHOCKED to see an ad on TV for vaping! It reminded me of all the cigarette ads that are "no more"----but those same companies have found another way back onto the screen. I am totally surprised that vaping is being allowed on TV. I don't know why I am surprised.....but I am!

elvan

I, too, remember all of them, Tareytons were my first cigarette, smoked Winstons for quite a while, and ended with Marlboro ("Special" Light 100's)  What a waste...I am sickened that they are being allowed to advertise these addictive devices.  

Good to hear from you, Tommy.

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

And Europe is WAAAAY behind the curve on this one.  I observed smoking rooms in both airports we went through with signs advertising their sponsors -  Winston and Marlboro....disgraceful!

I remember those slogans well, too - and I find it difficult to recall a flower I have had planted in my garden for years sometimes.   They certainly were drummed into our memory banks ----

Shame!

AnnetteMM

Virginia Slims, unlike the fat cigarettes men smoke. Co-opting the Women's Movement. I fell for it as did so many. UGH.

Giulia

I remember them all.  Plus the "Call for Phillip Morris...." bellhop.  "You can take Salem out of the country BUT ...."  And of course MORE.  I smoked Mores for a while.  So long, so thin, so different.  Oy!

AnnetteMM

Those were the brown ones, right?

0 Kudos
Giulia

Yes AnnetteMM‌ The extra long thin ones.   

pastedImage_1.jpg