cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Relentless Cravings

I’ve talked to my doc, a quit coach, a pharmacist and all have suggested I go back to 14mg which I started December 2.  All felt I should have adjusted to the drop in about 2 weeks, so they’re perplexed.  I have lozenges but they don’t stop them them reliably like they did before the nic drop.  Been very high stress lately as timing goes as well.  I’m in severe pain daily and sleeping is haphazard so no real rest even tho I can barely wake up.  This is my first true test at real withdrawl as before my nic intake equaled my smoking intake.  

9 Replies
Barbscloud

Gwen, what you're going through is you're personal journey and doesn't appear to be the norm.  Follow the advice of the professionals. I still admire you for not giving up with all you're going through.  Stay strong.

Barb

anaussiemom

Please try meditation Jen.

It is so helpful so slow the thoughts down.  I keep stating this , cuz I was amazed it worked so well.  Just for 3 mins.  

Hugs.

DonnaMarie

Withdrawal is no fun. I don't know your whole story, but it sounds like you're definitely as hood on nicotine as I am/was/will always be. I just don't use the drug right now in any form. It's the only way I could stop it. 

While giving up the drug, I made a lot of behavioral changes, which I think really helped. I still "smoked" cinnamon sticks (no lighting!), cinnamon.jpgand even now, will chew on or hold a cinnamon stick in my mouth if I have heavy duty urges. Everyone finds the thing that works for them. It sounds like you're working on finding your 'thing.' So happy you haven't given up. 

Do keep in mind that cigarettes are poison, plain and simple. One doctor told me in no uncertain terms that I was committing a slow suicide, and he was right. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. Sending you as many supportive vibes as I can.

Donna

Day 92

minihorses

Every person's body processes nicotine's effect differently so everyone's body react to NRTs differently.  My friend used gum for about 18 months which was a long time but she then quit and that was 15 years ago.  The patch burned my skin and gum and lozenges or gum made me want to vomit.  When Chantix became covered by insurance I got a prescription and low and behold that helped me even though it contains no nicotine.  So if you have to go back to the patch at 14% for a few more weeks.  So many people drop the recommended amount to the lower level way too early which can lead right back to smoking.  I'd rather get the dermal nicotine than shove more smoke, tar, ash, ammonia, into my lungs any day.  Be patient with yourself and keeping looking forward.  We'll be here for you.

indingrl

CONGRATS! so glad you have PROFESSIONAL HELP for YOUR anxiety and stress!  Good to here from YOU Gwenivere.  Fyi - progress NOT perfection. Yahoooooooooo.

sweetplt

Hi Gwen...

You are someone I daily think about and keep in my prayers.  I feel so bad for you and your journey.  I think you got some great advice about me...and I hope everything comes to a point where you can say..."This too shall pass..."...Gotcha in my Heart...~ Colleen 105 DOF 

maryfreecig

What is your treatment plan for the pain? 

Gwenivere

That is the big dilemma.  Surgery is being pushed hard.  I know that probably is my only option as they’ve ruled out cortisone injections and would not mix well with withdrawal anxiety.   Pain meds work, but that’s not a good road to go down. This is my spine and no guarantees.  Definitely less mobility and a very long recovery time.  I’ve had other surgeries for things I didn’t need, but messing with this truly scares me.  

elvan

Thinking of you, so sorry that this just seems to go on and on for you, I really hope and pray that going back to 14 mg is the answer for you.  

Ellen