cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cob321

Lungs feel worse

2 weeks of not smoking and my lungs actually feel worse than they did. Also having heart pain and chest tension. Anyone else experiencing this, and is there an explanation either medical or anecdotal or other?

10 Replies
TW517

Go to the top right of your page (or phone screen) and click on the magnifying glass symbol.  Then type "chest pains".  You'll see tons of past posts on the subject.  It is a very common symptom at the beginning of many quits.  Also look at:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms 

Welcome to EX!  Please don't think that smoking will alleviate your symptoms!  You are doing great with 2 weeks so far!  Congrats!

indingrl

Go Tom go - good job! 

AnnetteMM

I had the same symptoms after I quit. I called it "lung pain", and I believe it was part of the healing process. It went away after a few weeks for me. If it's very bothersome you can always ask your doctor.

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex's

Many of us early in our quit experience a lot of those things mentioned.  However, we are not Doctors and you should get checked out if you have any concerns.  Also, 

I am so happy you found our site.  You are not alone, in fact you are no different then all of us.  You are an addict.

This journey takes work, knowledge and preparation. I suggest you go to  My Quit Plan

Read other's blogs to learn everything about quitting. You can go to the little magnifying glass in the corner at the top of the page and put in "lungs hurt, chest hurt, etc.," others have written their experiences.  

Keep close to the site to support others and to get help.

We are in this journey together...Choose Life over Cigarettes...I won't kid you...it isn't easy, but it is doable.  If we can do it, you can too...now get working.

Colleen 105 DOF 

elvan

I am no doctor but I am a retired RN and if you are really feeling symptoms that are getting worse...PLEASE see your doctor.  Have him or her listen to your lungs, do a pulmonary function test, find out if some damage was done from smoking and if it can be stopped because you are NOT smoking.  Congratulations on your quit, I sincerely hope that you feel much better soon.  I think that it is best to err on the side of caution here, I do not know your history, how long you smoked, if you have any other health problems, if you had symptoms BEFORE you quit that you are just now becoming more aware of.  No matter what...you need to know what is going on and your doctor needs to give you HUGE KUDOS for quitting.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS ABD GOOD JOB STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT! WAY TO GO!

cob321

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Appreciate it. Reading around it seems like a lot of people have lung pain, chest pain and other symptoms - stomach, head, etc... soon after quitting. The MD and Wellness sites offer a bit of BS by saying that it's 3-5 days, the nicotine is out, and your cravings are gone and you're all good! Ha ha. Good one!

One friend told me the neurostimulant properties of the delivery of nicotine (and harman - an MAOI - and other compounds) via smoking have a powerful effect that could take the body a while to get used to. I also think that is contributing to some pretty significant depression - without the MAOI, there are higher levels, up to 25-30% of monoamine oxidase in new quitters which deplete other neurotransmitters such as dopamine.

So really, after decades of dependence and dosing, it's way more complicated than getting the nicotine out of the body, taking some deep breaths, going for a walk, eating carrot sticks and drinking a glass of water - seriously; WTF? 

I think a doctor would be the last person I would want to talk to about any of this. They manage symptoms and statistics, and unless there is something acute like an arrhythmia or serious chest congestion, I've learned it's an expensive way to find out not much. But I appreciate the cautionary care, so thank you!

Thank you all for the feedback and support. It's a wild, sad, stark, existential, meaningful, meaningless ride and despite the powerful symptoms and experiences, every minute is another step towards better health and freedom from the bondage of that kind of relationship with tobacco. 

Really appreciate the feedback and the inspiration from those of you who have already walked this way and successfully passed by these gargoyles, monsters, fears and challenges. 

Many thanks!

Chris 

CarynS

I actually lol'd at the carrot stick. As I chomp down cake slice #4, with a soda, and chicken sandwich (exclusively my nicotine detox diet). I work in the clinical field as well, of course the sound advice is: if you're concerned talk to a clinical person that can assess you without the internet and telepathy. Not to downplay the risk because we, as smokers have not treated our bodies like the temples they are.

That being said, I had lung and chest pain around day 14-16. And now a bit of cough and cilia moving phlegm which was gone for a while. My headache started day 18-20 and I wondered today if I was having a stroke. I'm no spring chicken, so I'll continue to monitor and if i think it's more than the normal pangs I'll eat a carrot stick. Just kidding, I'll seek medical intervention.

Best to both of us on our quit and health!

Karine

I laughed at carrot sticks too which I love btw ...however I do see lots of them in my future once the cookies and chocolates are done.  I hope you are feeling better .  I too had chest twinges and horrendous headaches and feared all of the above and below concerns.  But they have passed .  I love reading your posts