cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

patriciaporem

I'm new to this.

I have copd and I'm in the hospital again with pneumonia. I love to smoke so this is almost impossible to do. I need to quit!!!!!

13 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  You think you love to smoke because you're addicted to nicotine. I know the feeling and so do many others on this site.  That's why it is imperative to educate yourself about this addiction to be successful.  We've been brain washed about smoking and how we need it to survive the good times and the bad.  Most of us have tried numerous times to quit. I smoked for 50 years and just celebrated my 1 year anniversary.  So, it is possible if you're willing to do the work.  The support on this site has made the difference for me this time.  You should be hearing soon from some other Exers with specific material to read.  In the meantime, spend sometime reading posts from current quitters.  Some are old and some are new, but everyone has something to offer.  You'll find people that know just what you're going through and you'll find a new normal.   Pick a quit date, educate yourself and prepare for your quit.  Look forward to celebrating your quit date. We're here to support you every step of the way.

Bab

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX you have come to the right place for support.  
Quitting is doable but you have to be WiLLINg to Change your MINDset.  First, you start to reprogramming your thinking from no to yes I can do this.   It is not that you love to smoke so much as you are an addict and want to nicotine.  The other part are just rituals that you can get rid of.  You do not have to smoke.  Your brain has been telling you the wrong thing.  Switch the brain to tell yourself that you do not need to have a cigarette.  With education it is possible to quit.  Education holds the key to success. 

Start first by educating yourself on addiction to nicotine. It is advisable to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info is www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Quitting takes planning and preparation go to EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to decide how you are going to go about quitting. To get help on navigating the site go to. Community He My lp‌.  Again Welcome, there is more to come.  If you have any questions you can do a search with the magnifying to respond glass type any keywords and research.  If you have any questions just ask and give us the opportunity to respond.  We are here for you. 

anaussiemom

patriciaporemski

Same here, have COPD and had/bilateral lung infection!  You can do this. one moment at a time

Get well

Blessings Kim

Deena-A-Yenni

Hey patriciaporem‌ WELCOME!!!  It can be done and you've come to the right place to do it.  This site and especially the people in it have a high success rate BUT you have to do the work.  Lots of reading for you to do so get started!!

TW517

Welcome to EX!  Glad you found us.  I usually advise people to take at least a couple weeks to educate themselves on nicotine addiction here and other sites, to get familiar with this community and website, and to read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book, and then set a quit date.  But I know quite a few people who quit during a serious illness and/or hospital stay and are still doing great.  I think the scare factor, and inability to easily get away for a smoke can be beneficial.  Quitting really isn't impossible or even almost impossible .

Looking forward to following your journey here!  

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s 

Glad you found the site.  We all liked smoking or we wouldn’t be smoking.  However, we are addicts and we wouldn’t have gotten hooked without the nicodemon.  It is time to quit, your health is being effected.  That being said, eventually you will have to quit, make it your decision before that happens.  It takes work, knowledge and preparation.  Please go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and start reading and working the program.  There you will set a quit date and plan fir that day like no other...keep it close to the site for help and support.  Now get started, you are worth the quit.  Colleen 104 DOF 

maryfreecig

I also thought I loved to smoke. I quit at age 54 (was almost 55) and  I did it on my own, essentially cold turkey, but with some online support in the way of videos and info sites--not a community like Ex. I did not really understand how addictive nicotine is and although I'd heard that it was, I refused to believe that it was really ALL that addictive. I just love, love, love to smoke...or so I thought.

Not being able to let go at all is not love,it's dependency. Funny how it feels like love, though. 

Learn all you can about the addiction. Please take time to video yourself talking about how much you love to smoke--wait 24 hours, then watch--preferably on a large screen (not a smart phone screen)--sit back and watch--don't judge--just watch.

Just before I decided to quit, I thought I'd be smoking for the rest of my life--I even imagined myself dying from lung cancer--but that I was OK with. Nearly 5.5 years later and how I can see the influence of the addiction now. Took a while to stop being deluded. 

Quitting is a one day at a time job. Keep coming back, keep learning.

CarynS

I thought I loved smoking too. I loved nicotine. But I know its hurting me, my health and how I want and dont want to live out the rest of my years.

Glad you made it to a site, I'm new here too. I've been reading whyquit.com and Allen Carr's Easyway book. Both have my brain something to do and think while I wasnt smoking.

Wishing you the best!

beazel

Not impossible.

If we did it you can do it!

Hope you get better soon!